What sort of doctor would be qualified to perform an osteotomy for the delayed repair of a ZMC fracture?

I suffered a ZMC fracture around 2 years ago and am wondering what sort of doctor would be the right doctor to repair this with an osteotomy? A maxillofacial surgeon? A craniofacial surgeon? A plastic surgeon? I am wanting to find the right person for the job but need to make sure I am looking in the right places. Thanks so much!

Doctor Answers 1

ZMC fracture

First, sorry to hear about your facial trauma.  These can be difficult to fix after they have healed into a poor position.

At this point, I would recommend a craniofacial or maxillofacial surgery who has a depth of trauma experience.  These two types of surgeons get more training with bony work during residency and fellowship and are likely more comfortable with osteotomies and fractures.

Best of luck,

Dr Rodman


Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.