What sort of doctor would be qualified to perform an osteotomy for the delayed repair of a ZMC fracture?

I suffered a ZMC fracture around 2 years ago and am wondering what sort of doctor would be the right doctor to repair this with an osteotomy? A maxillofacial surgeon? A craniofacial surgeon? A plastic surgeon? I am wanting to find the right person for the job but need to make sure I am looking in the right places. Thanks so much!

ZMC fracture and osteotomies

Unfortunately, ZMC fractures can affect the structure, function, and aesthetic appearance of the face.  They are best repaired at the time of the injury.  As you stated, osteotomies become necessary once the bones have healed in a displaced location.  This procedure can be quite challenging.  Several specialties of surgeons can safely and properly perform this reconstruction.  Oral and maxillofacial surgeons (dental specialists), otolaryngologists (ENT surgeons), and plastic surgeons all receive training in repairing these types of fractures.  The problem is finding a surgeon in your area with adequate experience.  My advice would be to contact the local trauma hospital.  There will usually be several facial reconstructive surgeons available to help you with your problem. 

Rochester Plastic Surgeon

ZMC fracture

First, sorry to hear about your facial trauma.  These can be difficult to fix after they have healed into a poor position.

At this point, I would recommend a craniofacial or maxillofacial surgery who has a depth of trauma experience.  These two types of surgeons get more training with bony work during residency and fellowship and are likely more comfortable with osteotomies and fractures.

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon