How can I reduce the appearance of under eye bags without surgery? (Photo)

Hi there! I've had undereye bags since I was 28 at least (I'm 39 now). I would like them gone (without surgery preferably) but I'm not sure what the cause is. Could it be allergies? I have not been diagnosed with any specific allergies but my father and brother have allergies and my nose is often itchy and running. The bags don't seem to have fat in them - they are just loose skin. Would Titan Laser skin tightening help reduce their appearance?

The cause is age. The eyes are one of the first areas on the body to show the signs of father time. However, a bit of HA filler such as Restylane can fill in the hallow of the tear trough, eliminating the appearance of under eye bags while diminishing dark circles, brightening the eye and making it look more youthful. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

we do a combination of lasers and fillers to this area with microneedling to give a great aesthetic improvement without surgery.  Best, Dr. Emer.

How can I reduce the appearance of under eye bags without surgery

I think a filler such as Restylane injected into the tear trough would go a long way to lessening the appearance of the dark circles

Julio Garcia, MD

Under eye bags

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your photos and questions.

I think your best option is surgery (and I know this is not what you want to hear!!!)
The bags under the eye show some of the fat in your eye socket is bulging out (more on your right eye than the left).  The best way to treat the herniated fat is with surgery. This surgery is usually done through the inside of the eyelid (so there are no external scars). Laser to improve the skin will help with skin texture and tightness. It can be done in conjunction with the surgery for the herniated fat. In my opinion, laser to the lower eyelids, by itself will not full address your bags.
Surgery will give you a longer lasting result, with better improvement than other procedures. 

Eye bags and fat herniation are part of the normal process of aging. Some people have more propensity to develop eye bags (because of genetics and anatomy). If you are having symptoms of allergies, such as runny nose or itchy eyes, you should consider getting tested for allergies. However treating your allergies will not reverse the eye bags.

Another option would be to do filler injection to the lower eyelids. Filler is temporary (you usually need to redo it every 3-6 months). You can camouflage the eye bags by using the filler. It will smooth the area under your eye and can give you a very nice improvement. You can consider doing the filler and the laser for your lower eyes to avoid surgery. 

Hope this helps.
Consult a surgeon in your area 
Good luck!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower blepharoplasty with fat grafting

Your best option for treatment of your bags is lower blepharoplasty with fat grafting.  The blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) is done through an internal incision so there will be no cuts on the skin.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS

Surgery continues to be a very important option.

Non surgically, yes you could have fillers but it is going to be a very fussy and expensive service.  You have a very large under eye circle with herniated orbital fat.  This needs to be filled to smooth the transition from the cheek into the eyelid.  The fractional laser resurfacing does make skin look better but it lacks the power to really tighten this skin.  Certain individuals can have powerful results with deep chemical pee; but there is no free lunch.  Those peels can depigment the skin.  Ultimately there is no substitute for the right cosmetic surgeon.  They need to examine your issue to really determine what surgical and nonsurgical options might be best for you.  Proceed cautiously, there is help for you.

Lower eyelid bags

Hi. Your photos show that you have significant lower eyelid fat. This is usually due to your natural natural anatomy and genetics- especially if your eyelid bags have been present since you were young. Fillers would be the main non-surgical option, however, they may not be enough in your case. Your best option is probably surgery (lower eyelid blepharoplasty with possible fat transposition).  I would scheduled a consultation with an eyelid specialist for an evaluation. Hope this helps, Best regards, Ira Vidor, M.D.

Ira Vidor, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Under eye bags

Looks like you have prominent under eye fat pockets. Fillers alone to fill underneath the fat pockets (along the infraorbital rim) may be sub-optimal. You may require lower lid surgery though. You should seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon that has extensive experience with eyelid surgery for your options. Best of luck.

Under eye treatments

Thank you for your question in regards to under eye bags.
There are different laser resurfacing options that can help improve the appearance if you are not ready for a surgical procedure. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Under Eye Blepharoplasty (puffiness under eyes)

Thank you for your question!  We always advice to go in to see a board certified surgeon for an exam and consultation. If you are not ready for lower eyelid Blepharoplasty (surgical procedure) We offer here in our practice the C02 Laser Resurfacing to help reduce the puffiness under your eyes.  Approx price for just under the eyes would be $2500.  This does include anesthesia and operating room fees.  

You could also try fillers for a less invasive approach. We offer fillers at approx $450. per syringe.  

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon