What are my best options for saddlebag improvement? (Photo)

I am 5'7.5 and weigh 130lbs I am athletic and within 5lbs of my goal weight, I have a small upper half but have always had localized fat deposits in my saddlebag area that makes me appear "bottom heavy". What would be my best option in terms of contouring- I'm considering coolsculpting or vaser lipo but generally would like to have something with minimal downtime. I have some cellulite although it is not very visible in the photos and would like to achieve a rounder "apple" shape to my bum.

Options for saddlebag improvement

CoolSculpting has FDA approval for fat reduction since 2010. CoolSculpting freezes the fat cells. Fat cells are more susceptible to damage by freezing than the other cells, (nerve, vessel, bone, etc.), around them. The fat cells die via a process called apoptosis, (programmed cell death). The number of fat cells are therefore reduced. This happens over a period of time, so the body is not overwhelmed with dead fat cells. The body will take these cells up, process them and excrete them, just as any other cell. The remnants are filtered through the liver, and then excreted eventually via stool. CoolSculpting now has an applicator for thighs.  CoolSculpting had been used in this area with good results. See an experienced CoolSculpting practice, they will determine if you are a candidate.  Best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  They will be able to tell you of the different options, (CoolSculpting, Liposuction, Direct excision, etc.).

Saddle Bags and Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an ideal treatment for this type of problem area such as the saddle bags.  I often combine Thermage to treat cellulite in these problem areas.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting

You are the ideal candidate for Coolsculpting because you are treating a "problem area". I think 1-2 treatments of Coolsculpting will do the trick for you. 

Options for Outer Thighs

You appear to be a nice candidate for cool sculpting with the cool smooth pro because you have minimal deposits to improve. Of course a board certified plastic surgeon could surgically correct your area of concern but cool sculpting would and could be a nice option. it does not treat cellulite. Best of Luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Saddle Bags

It depends on how aggressive you want to be. If you are looking for something completely non-invasive then CoolSculpting using the non-suction based CoolSmooth applicator would be appropriate for you. You can expect about a 20% reduction with each treatment. Vaser lipo will give you more dramatic results, but with more downtime/risk. ThermiTight is also another option for the saddlebag area and can also improve cellulite. Cellfina and Sculptra can also be used for cellulite. Make sure you find an experienced provider that has a few different options for you. Hope this helps!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Coolsculpting for saddlebags

You appear to be an ideal candidate for Coolsculpting with the CoolSmooth applicators on your saddlebags.  The CoolSmooth is a flat applicator that contours to areas like the lateral thigh/saddlebag area.  Not only have we seen fantastic fat reduction but improvement in cellulite as well.  I think you'd be very pleased with your results from Coolsculpting and love the no downtime or recovery aspect as well.  Good luck!

Grant Stevens, MD

Getting an Apple butt-VASER Hi def, RF treatments, Ultrasound, Cellfina, fat transfer

You need a hi definition procedure by someone very meticulous. You will want a precise treatment of lower back fat harvesting with fat transfer to your buttock/buttock roll to give you an amazing buttock and hip shape and contour. Cellfina in combination with RF treatments/ultrasound can improve the appearance of any cellulite. I recommend a consultation with a hi-def physique expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Improving outer thighs

Coolsculpting can be done here as well as Vanquish. Best results are with the Vaser but there will be some downtime, but not much. Cellulite is treated with Cellfina +/- Sculptra. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Coolsculpting for outer thighs

It seems that you are a great candidate for Coolsculpting of your outer thighs. The CoolSmooth applicator was designed specifically to treat the saddle bags and will work very well to reduce the stubborn fat in this area. Coolsculpting is truly non-invasive and there is no downtime. I highly recommend visiting an office in your area for your Coolsculpting consultation soon! Best of luck!

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD