Is my nose too long for my face? (Photo)

I've been insecure about my nose forever. I feel like it is crooked and too long for my face. What should I do or get done to make it look better? Or does it look fine?

Is my nose too long for my face?

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on a limited 2 dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) ) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Your nose can probably be shortened nicely with a rhinoplasty

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.       Mostly, I elevated and narrowed the tip of your nose. I'll bet that its the profile view and the three-quarters view, not the frontal view that you posted, that would show the most change with a rhinoplasty, because those are the views that usually show the length of the nose best.        You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.        Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them -- so you know whether it's enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. Then, he must show you before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question. It is important to consider the shape and appearance of your nose within the context of your overall facial features, shape and ethnic background. Your nose must fit with your overall look so it would be best for you to consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an in-person examination. A rhinoplasty can improve the size, proportion and overall appearance of your nose. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us. In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features. Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate for a long and crooked nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shortening the nose and straightening it.  A full set of photographs are required to determine what else may be needed, since the nose is a 3-dimensional structure.  Rhinoplasty is a very difficult endeavor, so chooses your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience.  Digital computer imaging  can help give you an idea of what your new nose would look like on your facial features. For more information and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below

Thank you for the photo and the question and at a consultation where they use digital photography you will be able to see what is and what is not possible with your nose.  So go on some consults where they use this technique.Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Rhinoplasty for the long crooked nose with bulbous tip?

Rhinoplasty for the long crooked nose with bulbous tip? You can have a more attractive feminine nose with straightening, tip refinement and hump removal etc. Only you can decide I'd you want this. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.