I've had a nipple piercing since 17, I'm now 24, BA done 3 weeks ago. Can I put in my piercing now?

I know surgeons have different opinions, just want to know your individual stances on this subject.

6 weeks

I tell my patients to wait 6 weeks before piercing their nipples after a breast augmentation. You should always defer to your surgeon for his or her recommendations.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  It is very important that the skin tunnel for your piercing not be cut, injured or damaged during replacement of your piercing.  This could result in infection which could track to your implant.

Of course you must follow your surgeon's advice regarding this.  Personally I would wait 6 weeks.

Nipple piercing - can I put it back in now?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• If you were my patient, and your incisions were well-healed, I'd say yes but please do nothing without the approval of your own surgeon!

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Usually a stable long term piercing can be replaced at 3 weeks post-op

For me, the main issues involving the placement of piercings after breast augmentation have to do with avoidance of infection and avoidance of any pressure issues on the nipple and areola.  If the piercing is long term, like yours, it is safe to assume that the tract, or hole the piercing goes through, is well healed and lined with skin.  Thus, if your incisions are fully closed and healed, there should be no increased risk of infection from the piercing any longer.  If there is still open skin, either at the  piercing site or the incisions, you have to wait.  From the standpoint of pressure issues, if the swelling and tension of the breasts have resolved, and the tissues are relatively soft and pliable, this should not be much of an issue any longer either.  If there is still swelling or tension in the tissues making them firm and less pliable against hard objects like piercing rings, you should wait until things soften up a bit more to prevent the ring from being trapped in one position against the firm tissues and causing pressure problems and skin breakdown.  Make sure you run all of this by your own surgeon and get their take on it before you do anything along those lines, though. This is how I advise my own patients with nipple piercings.  Best of luck!

Breast augmentation 3 weeks ago, can i replace my nipple piercing?

Hi, providing no wound healing problems and you scar is fully healed, you should be good to insert your piercings back in.

Thank you for sharing your question. Assuming you have not had any healing issues you would be fine to replace your nipple piercing.  Best wishes.

Replacing your piercing

As long as you are healing well and not having any problems, I allow patients to replace their piercings after their one week appointment. You are correct though that each PS will have their own recommendations, so I would check with your surgeon.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Piercing after BBA

Thank you for your question. At this point, you should be fine to replace your piercing. Certainly, each surgeon will have their own recommendations. In general however, assuming there are no healing problems, I allow my patients to replace their piercings very soon after surgery. Best regards.

Can I put in my piercings after breast augmentation surgery?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Although I understand your desire to obtain different opinions, I think you should follow your plastic surgeon's advice;  having said that, assuming there are no problems, utilizing your piercings at this point should carry very little risk.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Nipple piercing replacement after BA

I do not think there is any evidence to support an answer so it comes down to a professional opinion. 

The most important consideration is the risk of setting off an infection. We know that nipple ducts contain bacteria and so any nipple manipulation runs a degree of risk of causing an infection. An infection of the breast would then have the potential to infect the implant. I would advise my patients to wait for 6-8 weeks after surgery before replacing a piercing. This assumes that they are replacing a piercing into an existing hole. If they are effectively having the nipples re-pierced then I would wait longer (at least 3 months) and would still consider there are risks of infection with re-piercing. Piercing a nipple may open up ducts within the nipple resulting in infection.

Although it is of no help to you I have carried surgery with nipple piercings in place but had them changed well before surgery to plastic to avoid the risk of burns from the cautery. However, I would not do this with a peri-areola approach.

I hope this information is helpful. I advise you to defer to your own PS's opinion for when you should replace your piercing.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon