Mastopexy Incision: Puckering, or Keloid? (photos)

These are taken one week post-op for a bilateral mastopexy. I am in my 20s, healthy, and a non-smoker. Are these raised bumps normal at my healing stage? I'm concerned, as some of the tissue looks flat. (The Steri-Strips peeled off before these photos, but I immediately replaced them.) It may be too soon to tell, but I would like to know how I can visually identify keloid growth. Thank you for reading/commenting.

Not a keloid

The incision is actually bunched together like that on purpose so that during stretch in the healing process, the scar won't widen.

Mastopexy Incision: Puckering, or Keloid?

Thank you for your question.  It is far too early to be concerned about a keloid or hypertrophic scar. Signs of a keloid scar or hypertrophic scar usually did not appear until about 6 weeks.  This appears to be bunching of the incision.  Please follow-up with your plastic surgeon and do not follow Internet advice.

Incision Appearance

At one week, you have not even formed scar tissue.  This is just a puckered incision due to internal sutures, which will dissolve with time. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Your scars look normal for your stage of healing. Scars typically thicken over the first two to four months after surgery, before they begin to flatten and turn whiter over a year or so. In a mastopexy the inframammary scar is usually thicker than the vertical scar and the scar around the areola. Moreover, we are able to keep the inframammary scar shorter by doing a bit of pleating; the pleating disappears over time. All the best.

Breast lift incision: puckering or keloid?

Incisions stay red, lumpy and bumpy for six months. Then the incision forms a nice firm healing ridge, which then takes a minimum of six months before it even begins to soften. This is normal healing for everyone. A keloid is scar tissue that extends beyond the healing line, like a mini cauliflower. Be patient. It's always a good idea to consult with your surgeon when you are concerned. Hope this information is reassuring. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon