Lips feel like 2 hard lumps on both sides of top lip, very dry, and creasing in centre of lip, is this normal? (photos)

I had 1/2 syringe of Juvederm injected in my top lip on Thursday and I am worried my lips are not healing properly. I bruised very badly, but beyond that, It feels like there is still a lot of swelling. My lips feel very hard on the inside of my top lip on both sides, like 2 small lumps. Also, the sides are very puffy and then the centre part isn't as much so when I don't smile, the center of the top lip is very creased and it lifts when I smile. Does it look like it is healing right?

Lumps after Juvederm

It can take a few days to 2 weeks for all swelling to subside after injection. Gently massaging the treated area will help smooth out any lumps. If after 2 weeks you are unhappy with your results then you can have it dissolved with hyaluronidase. Please consult with your treating physician if you have any concerns. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Lip Lumps

Thank you for your question. I will take about 2 weeks for all your swelling to resolve. In the meantime, Gentle massage to the area with the lumps will help those go down. If after two weeks your are still having issues with the lumps in your lips then I would return to your injector for an evaluation. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Lip injection

It takes about two weeks for the swelling to subside after the treatment.  Some gentle massage may help to soften the bumps, but they should improve even if you did nothing.  If after two weeks you are still having concerns, return to your injector for an evaluation.

Camille Cash, MD

Healing after Juvederm

Hello and thank you for reaching out. Swelling & small hard lumps after lip fillers is completely normal. It's still too early to assume they will be there for good. Over the next 7-10 days you will notice that your smile will smooth as, just like the rest of your lips. Best Wishes. 

Swelling and bruising from lip filler

This is all within expected post procedure side effects. Wait about 10 days and still having concerns, please schedule an appointment to see your doctor. Everything usually settles out by that time.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Still Too Soon

You will have swelling for up to two weeks after your injections, so it's too early for your final results. If you are unhappy with your final results you can have it dissolved and try a different technique next time. Best, Dr. Emer

Swelling after filler

Hello, and thanks for your question. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by an expert. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon