Can kybella hurt a sagging chin?

Can kybella hurt a sagging chin. Not sure if my chin is fat or sagging from age. I have read some people feel that kybella made their chin look more sagging!

Kybella and excess skin

It is possible that you may benefit from both Kybella and Thermage to tighten the area under the chin.  An in office consultation is the only way to know best if you are a good candidate.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella on excess skin.

Thank you for your question. Since you did not submit a photo, I cannot give you an accurate answer of whether Kybella would be suitable for you. Kybella is an injectable to help you get rid of submental fullness (double chin). In order to know if you qualify for the treatment, you would need a full in-person consultation. If you do not have enough submental fullness and your chin area is just showing an excess amount of skin, than you may need a better skin tightening treatment or your physician may suggest you couple Kybella with another treatment. Some other treatments that can help are ThermiTight and SmartLipo, but it’s best to see a qualified physician so that they can assess your area. Good Luck!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella for sagging chin

Kybella is designed to specifically destroy fat cells in injections sites.  In younger patients we feel the inflammation and swelling that occurs with cell death actually contributes to some skin tightening as well.  If there already redundant skin as well as some treatable fat, you actually can see the redundancy worsen.  There are multiple treatments that can help with redundant skin including:  Ultherapy, Thermi, and Infini.  There may be a point in your life where a neck lift is the only answer.  Best advice is to get a couple opinions and make sure the office offers multiple technologies and therefor your best treatment package.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Can kybella hurt a sagging chin?

Thank you for your question. This is a very important point and one I am glad you brought up.

Kybella is intended to treat submental fullness from excess adipose tissue. While it does produce some mild skin tightening in my opinion, it is not intended to treat excess skin. So in patients where the majority of their problem is skin excess, Kybella is a poor choice to improve this and might even make it appear worse if you remove additional fat tissue from under the skin and produce more excess skin.

Treatments such as this require appropriate patient selection to be successful. Make sure you see a qualified plastic surgeon to be evaluated and examined to decide if this would be a good option for you or not.

Can kybella hurt a sagging chin?

Hello Chefidel,

Kybella is designed to dissolve the fat in the submental area.  If your sagging chin is being caused by extra fat, Kybella can help.  However, if the sagging chin is because of excess skin, then Kybella would not improve this to any significant extent. When the proper patient is being treated with Kybella, there can be some excellent results.  The problem is when patients who are not good candidates receive treatment as they will not get the results they expect.  

I would recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who performs his or her own injections.  This way you can learn about Kybella and also learn about the surgical options for a neck lift.  

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella results

Without seeing you in person or a photo, it is impossible to say whether or not Kybella would be appropriate for you. It is very effective at removing that pocket of fat under the chin. However, it does nothing for sagging skin. The only real solution for the latter is a neck lift. Hope his helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and skin laxity

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos with us. Kybella does work to reduce the fatty tissue in the double chin region. It can result in unmasking the underlying anatomy which can reveal small muscle bands in the center of the neck. These can be softened with Botox.  I have also found that Kybella can result in a mild to moderate amount of skin retraction.  I would visit with your plastic surgeon who can assess you and then come up with treatment options for you.

Kybella

Thank you for your question in regards to Kybella. Kybella injects physically destroys fat cells to improve the appearance of moderate to severe fat beneath the chin - also known as submental fullness or "double chin." Once destroyed, those cells can no longer store or accumulate fat. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Kybella -- FDA approved for Submental Fat, Non Surgical Option But Still New

IF there is no fat in the neck there is no reason to use kybella, it could cause ulceration to the skin are injected.  It is meant for fat dissolving not skin tightening and those who are not candidates will not benefit.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella treats fat in the double chin

Kybella is an injectable fat dissolver that is approved to treat the double chin. The ideal patient for this is one that has minimal skin laxity, good skin tone, and isolated submental fat. If there is a combination of excess skin and fat, then another type of skin tightening procedure needs to be combined(ThermiTight Radiofrequency)at the same time to prevent sagging skin. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon