Is my incision healing well? Which silicone strips do you recommend? (photos)

Is my incision healing well? Which silicone strips do you recommend?

Thank you for your question.  I cannot tell if the left incision is totally healed yet and if it is not more time is needed before applying silicone strips.  Please see your plastic surgeon for an examination and recommendation for further therapy.  There is no one silicone strip that is better than any other.  Personally I is a topical steroid solution called Scar guard.

Periareolar approaches

invariably heal well in most people but if you have pigmented skin, then it would be beneficial to be proactive about healing and use some kind of product.  There really is no best one here so any silicone based product is good.

Curtis Wong, MD

Incision Around the Areola

A full circle incision can be made along the border of the areola, which it appears you have. This usually heals very well. It may be associated with an increased likelihood of inability to successfully breast-feed, as compared to the other incision sites and has an increased risk of capsular contracture (hardening of implant). This incision option is ideal for saline implant placement. 

Scarring can sometimes be difficult with any incision, with hypertrophic scarring or infection always possible. It would be best to visit your surgeon to get the most detailed examination and advice of this area to make sure that healing is progressing well or whether medication for helping the scarring or potential infection is needed. Good luck!

Breast Augmentation - Scar Care

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions for three months. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!