I am wondering if Botox/Juvederm can help me raise my eyebrows to eliminate the sagging of my upper eyelids? (Photo)

I went to a consultation and the doctor told me that because my eyelid sagging is genetic, botox wouldn't be able to fix the problem and that I would have to turn to surgery for that. I can't afford surgery so I am wondering if this doctor was right in his findings. My upper eyelids are definitely saggy and it is genetic, but I am hoping there is some way other than surgery to fix this.

BOTOX Can Help, But Surgery Is Best

Thanks for your question, maya2016. When it comes to treating saggy lids, blepharoplasty is often the most ideal option. However, strategic administration of BOTOX can certainly improve things. Keep in mind that the results of BOTOX are temporary, and you'll require regular follow-up treatments to maintain your results. Still, it's a good place to start for many patients. There is no harm in trying BOTOX as long as you have clear expectations that the results may not be as extensive as you would like. You can always pursue surgery down the road if you wish. Good luck with your decision.

San Diego Dermatologist

Surgery Would Be Best for These Reasons

That's a good question. A blepharoplasty is the best way to remove excess skin from your upper eyelids. BOTOX can be used to slightly elevate the lateral brow. I have not found that fillers do a good job in reducing the excess and elevating the brow, although there are proponents for that procedure. Another consideration is to do a "mini" brow lift through the upper eyelid incision at the time of the upper blepharoplasty. An "endotine" can be placed to elevate the lateral brow. This is an absorbable "picture hanger" that is placed in the bone a centimeter above your brow. Your brow will remain in its new position after the endotine dissolves. The combination of removing excess skin and the slight elevation that the endotine provides can yield a natural appearance to your rejuvenated eyelids, all through a hidden incision. Good luck with your decision.

Non surgical brow lift is possible

There is almost always a degree of improvement you can achieve with Botox and also possibly a little filler, like Juvederm.
Eyelid surgery would also help you but it's not the only answer.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Non surgical brow lifting

It is possible to elevate the brows slightly with Botox by using it to relax the muscles that pull the brows down, This may give a slight improvement to the excess skin in you upper lids as well. Personally I think your eyes look great and I wouldn't think you need anything. If the excess skin really bothers you then an upper lid blepharoplasty would be much more effective.

Good luck

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and brow lift

If you are looking for a non surgical treatment to elevate your brows. You could try botox to the lateral brows to help elevate. This treatment would be very subtle but worth a try.  I am in agreement that a surgical procedure would best serve you. Thank you so much for your question and the photos. Best wishes. 

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Heavy Eyelids and Botox

Botox is a great injection for the forehead area and around the eyes to treat Crow's feet.  However, if you have excess skin in the upper lids, then Botox will make them appear heavy. I would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon about a surgical option.

Blephroplasty

Hi maya2016
In order to open your eyes you would benefit from a blepharoplasty.  This is a common eyelid surgery to remove excess skin and suborbital fat.  However, Botox can be used to temporarily raise your eyebrow.  It would be best to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon to learn about your option.  Best regards.

Browlift with Botox and Juvederm

While a surgical procedure called upper lid blepharoplasty can provide the most dramatic improvement to heavy upper lids, Botox and Juvederm can also be used for a non-surgical browlift.  The reason that Botox can provide a browlift is that when properly administered, it can relax the muscles that pull the brows down, allowing the forehead muscles to lift unapposed.  A Botox browlift usually lasts 3-4 months. 

Juvederm is a hyaluronic filler that can also be used to create a browlift by being placed underneath the brows.  In some situations, hyaluronic fillers can also be used directly in the mid-forehead region to lift as well.  These types of fillers tend to last about a year in the brow and forehead areas.  These treatments should only be performed by the most experienced physician injectors in order to achieve safe, effective and natural looking results.

Beyond Botox and Juvederm, and if desiring non-surgical treatment, there is also a focused ultrasound treatment called Ultherapy that is approved specifically and uniquely for browlift but creating new collagen in the forehead region.  One treatment usually provides results that begin to appear 2-4 months later and last 1-2 years.  Again, best to seek a consultation with an experienced provider to see if this is right for you.

Mark Lupin, MD
Victoria Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox browlift raises eyelids too.

Dear maya2016:

Thanks for sharing your photos. 

Yes, you do have heavy eyelids and they can be enhanced with a bilateral upper eyelid blepharoplasty, ie. upper eyelid lift.

Natural and youthful eyebrows in women are typically just above to 1 centimeter above the bony ridge of the orbit with the peak of the arch in the lateral third of the brow. 

The art and science of Botox requires the injector to understand the dynamics of brow elevation and arch formation. This may also lift the upper eyelid upward so it does not fall fully on the eyelash. 

Consult with a talented and skillful Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, ENT Facial Surgeon or Dermatologist who understands the anatomy and dynamics of facial expression to help you achieve your goals. 

I wish you well. 

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Hooded eyes in the young female?

Hooded eyes in the young female? You have congenital putting of your eyes. The results from Botox will be minimal but you can try this if you like. I would advise saving your money and eventually having an Irregular Trichophytic Forehead lift which will raise your eyebrows and a lemonade excess skin and your upper eyelids. If you wanted the hairline can be lowered with the same operation. This is a technique we described 35 years ago and gives outstanding results without noticeable scars. See someone skilled with this technique.