I have a visible open incision scar from a rhinoplasty that is noticeable is there a laser or cream that will help?

I have a incision scar from a rhinoplasty that is noticeable is there a effective laser or cream that can be used to make it less noticeable and less notched ? I am most worried about it being visible from the profile views. Thank you

Open rhinoplasty incision scar treatment

It's hard to say what options you have without examining your scar in person nor knowing much about your prior surgery timing, etc. With time the open columellar incision typically heals well but sometimes the result isn't as ideal. Scar revision or dermabrasion are potential options. You could visit with your surgeon to get a better idea of what your best next steps are.

Treatment of columellar scar following rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. I suggest visiting your surgeon and getting an evaluation. There are various options for improving the scar. Adjuncts such as topical silicone or laser resurfacing may be options based on scar appearance. Sometimes the scar does need to be cut out and revised. Be patient as many of the issues may be due to swelling around the incision and often get better over time on its own.

Rhinoplasty - scar

With a scar there and notches from the closure, a small revision is probably your best bet.  Although I personally haven't need to revise the scar before, I'd recommend about 6-9 months. Best Wishes!!

I have a visible open incision scar from a rhinoplasty

It depends upon how old the incision is and what bothers you about it. If it's red or swollen and a recent incision it will settle and a silicon gel will help. If it is mildly irregular fractional CO2 laser resurfacing can make a big difference. If there is a large step off or widening of the scar then it might need to be cut out and repaired again. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Incision visible after Open Rhinoplasty

When performing open rhinoplasty the technique used for the incision including placement and closing of the incision is very important to avoid having any notching or visible signs of the incision. I would discuss with your surgeon your concerns and see what he/she determines is the best course of action at this time. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Visible open rhinoplasty scar

There are several options for a visible transcolumellar scar, including lasers, steroid injections, brightening creams, and revision.  Relay your concerns to your plastic surgeon and he or she will guide you through the process. 

Nasal scar

Thanks for your post. If you would be willing to share your photo, it would help form an answer. There are multiple options for scar improvement. These can range from steroid injections, lasers, dermabrasion, or surgical scar revision techniques. I would advise consulting with an experienced plastic surgeon in your area who can examine you and discuss treatment options. Good luck!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Visible rhinoplasty scar

Without a picture, it is difficult to give proper advise. Options include laser, dermabrasion or excision and closure. Dermabrasion "sands" down the top layer of skin to smooth irregularities. Scar revision involves excising the scar and closing it in a proper fashion .

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wound care

you can use a silicone based gel to that area, twice to three times a day with a light pressure massage.  that will help break up the scar tissue. it can take a few weeks, but it will make a difference.  you can also do a a fractional CO2 laser localized to that area, but it depends on how many weeks post operative you are.

this brings a better question, how long ago was your surgery? and how extensive was it? depending on those two questions, you may still have a lot of swelling on the nasal tip which is giving you a little step-off. if so, give it time.  also, discuss it with your PS as they may be able to inject a steroid into the area to help bring down the swelling a little faster.  

i hope this helps.  best of luck. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon