I am getting a repair on my deviated septum and I was told I have to wear a splint. But want to take it off for a couple hours.

I am getting my deviated septum repaired when I am awake but I am going to a party two days later and I don't want to wear my nose splint at the party. Is it a bad idea to just take it off for two hours if I am going to be very careful with it? Please help me!

Internal and external splints

With strictly internal nasal septoplasty, an internal splint is often utilized and should be left in place until your surgeon decides to remove it.  An external split, one which drapes over the bridge of the nose is utilized for rhinoplasty, and it too should be left in place until your surgeon decides  it needs to come off.  Typically I will have patients keep splints in place for up to a week before taking the splits off.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal splints protect your nose after your procedure

It sounds like you are referring to an external nasal splint, which would be placed on the outside of the nose after fixing nasal bones. A septal splint inside the nose would be very difficult for you to remove usually. You should follow your surgeon's advice. He / she likely told you to keep the splint in place at all times for a week until seen in the office. It is there for your protection. If you had the procedure, it is probably best to follow the postop instructions so that you can get the most optimal result for which you worked so hard.

Splint after nasal surgery

Hi there,

The nasal cast is usually placed after working on narrowing or straightening the nasal bones. The case helps the bridge of the nose heal in the appropriate position. A nasal cast is not usually used just after a septoplasty.

If you are wearing a cast because of work done to the nasal bones and bridge it is probably best to keep it on during the healing process. It can also be hard to remove and replace early after surgery!

I would recommend you clarify with your doctor

Hope this helps

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty procedure

A splint is only placed on the bridge line the nose for patients undergoing rhinoplasty, not a septoplasty. The splint holds the nasal bones into their new and more narrow  position after osteotomies have been performed in them. A septoplasty is performed in the back of the nose once medical necessity has been documented at the time of the examination and consultation. A septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose, and is only performed for air flow improvement.  In our practice, a septoplasty is always performed under general anesthesia by a board-certified physician anesthesiologist for patient safety, comfort, and to control the airway so that blood  does not pool in the lungs. It's a bad idea to undergo a septoplasty under local anesthesia wide-awake. In addition, it's probably not advisable to a party two days later. For more information describing the differences between a septoplasty and a rhinoplasty along with our postoperative care regimen, please see the video and the link below