Full or Mini Abdominoplasty? (photos)

It is my understanding that a full abdominolasty is only necessary with involvement or concern about the space above the belly button. In my case, I am not concerned with this area; however, I would like my belly button "replaced" or repaired after a scar from a belly button piercing as well as two laparoscopies. Any suggestions or thoughts are so appreciated!! I am contemplating between surgery in Mexico or Vancouver, Canada.

Find the right surgeon

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a Abdominoplasty .It also depends on where the blood clot was. You should check with the surgeon of your choice. 

Options for abdominoplasty

Hello and thanks for posting your question and pictures. You may speak with your surgeon (I highly recommend choosing a reputable board certified surgeon) at the consultation to discuss perhaps addressing lower abdominal skin with a mini TT and just doing a BB revision procedure that will address both areas of concern. 
Best wishes in reaching your goals.

Rachel Streu, MD

Full or Mini

Typically a full abdominoplasty will be required to fully correct all elements that need to be addressed in your situation - lower abdominal skin laxity, muscle seperation, and a poorly defined belly button. There are options however of modifying the procedure to limit the scar and still produce good results. I have seen several patients who have had similar procedures done in Mexico that required major revision, and in the end it cost them more than having the surgery done locally. In Vancouver, seek out a surgeon who is qualified by the Royal College of Surgeons and specializing in Plastic Surgery. Checking with the CSAPS web site will give you a list of surgeons. Dr. Demianczuk 

Arko Demianczuk, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Full or mini abdominoplasty?

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on your photos, you do have a nice frame and shape that you start with. I would not recommend either. You would do best with an EVE abdominoplasty. This is a combination of VASER sculpting and a modified abdominoplasty via a small C-section type incision at the pubic bone level and a full muscle repair from breast bone to the pubic bone. See a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in advanced body sculpting techniques for an in person consultation/evaluation. I learned and trained with Dr. Hoyos in Bogota, the inventor of these advanced body sculpting techniques. Good luck.

Full or Mini Abdominoplasty?

If you were happy with your belly button and the very mild skin laxity above the belly button, you could improve the area of most concern...the loose skin of the lower tummy...with a mini tummy tuck. Any attempt to tighten the skin above the belly button OR to revise the belly button (making it smaller and less stretched out and removing your previous scarring) would require a full tummy tuck. However, you must realize that with a full tummy tuck, the old belly button hole will not advance very far down (since your upper tummy is not very loose), and then it will be closed with a relatively short vertical scar (maybe 4-5 cm), in addition to the scar around the belly button and the long horizontal scar in the lower tummy with any tummy tuck. If any plastic surgeon suggests (or admits on questioning) that they will raise the long horizontal scar higher up so that you will avoid the vertical scar from closing the old belly button hole, run the other way. A high tummy tuck scar cutting across the tummy is essentially impossible to lower, and it looks bad. Once you know what is involved with a full tummy tuck in your case, you may or may not choose to stick with a mini tummy tuck and maybe just do a scar revision of your old piercing hole above the belly button. It depends on what compromise you are willing to make.

Full tummy tuck

Based on your photos alone I would recommend a full tummy tuck. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Full or Mini Abdominoplasty?

Thank you for your question.  A full abdominoplasty would be a good option here, especially if you're looking to revise your belly button.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon near you, certainly not Mexico; you would be risking disaster there.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Full or Mini Abdominoplasty?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. I am going to echo what other excellent surgeons on here have already said. From your pictures, you might be a candidate for a limited tummy tuck, but if you want a revision of your belly button scar, you might need a full tummy tuck. You would certainly benefit from the muscle repair. Whatever you decide to do regarding full vs mini, please do not go to Mexico to get surgery. There are plenty of qualified local surgeons in your area and despite what money you think you are going to save, it is not worth your safety. This is your body and you only get one....no time to bargain shop.Good luck and above all.....be safe!

Full tummy tuck is best and get it done locally if you can

I see you are located in Vancouver BC. Why would you go to Mexico? The cost difference is less important than the quality and having your surgeon available postoperatively to deal with problems. A tummy tuck is much more effective than a mini. A mini-tummy tuck is hardly a tummy tuck. Also, you want the scars around your belly button removed anyway (which can be done with a full tummy tuck). You can read more if you like at my website. Experienced surgeons know how to keep the scar low and avoid a vertical component. Look at your surgeon's before and after photos and if you like the results, you are more likely to be satisfied with your own result.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  It could be a full or a mini--an in-person examination could determine this.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD