Do I get a chin implant or sliding genioplasty? If I get a chin implant, which size should I get? (photo)

I don't like my profile as I have a weak chin and an overbite. I have had an oral surgeon suggest breaking my jaw and bringing it forward however I am not interested in this procedure (because of the time, cost, etc.). So basically I am wondering whether I am a better candidate for a chin implant or a sliding genioplasty, and if I am a better candidate for a chin implant what size should I be getting?

Chin implant seems a better bet.

Dear Lolitapascuzzi;

I agree that your chin is significantly receding and you would look a lot better if your chin showed further forward.Ideally, on the profile view, the chin should come as far forward as a vertical line dropped from the upper and lower lips. At this point, your chin fails that test. T

There's another issue though, and that is the “overbite”. If you have an overbite, you need orthodontic treatment. Now, I am not a dentist, but certainly you need to have a good dental evaluation and ask your personal dentist his thoughts. Sometimes both the services of an orthodontist using braces and an oral surgeon to possibly remove teeth or shift the jaw may be necessary also.

Before you consider a cosmetic chin augmentation, I believe there should be a game plan regarding the various dental treatments which are outlined above. Typically the last phase of the program is the cosmetic portion since the dental treatments may, in fact, influence the position of the lower jaw and therefore have an impact on your profile.

Regarding a chin implant or sliding genioplasty: that's something to be discussed with your oral surgeon. Generally oral surgeons favor sliding genioplasties, and that may be satisfactory.The alternative would be a silicone plastic chin implant inserted either through the mouth or through a hidden horizontal incision under the chin.

Typically, that procedure is done by plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons, although some oral surgeons who have a significant cosmetic segment to their practice may be capable of doing that.

You need a game plan so start with your personal dentist for some guidance. There is no question that you can be helped. We see many patients who have had great improvement both in the correction of the overbite and the improvement for a receding chin. I recommend that you have consultations with super-specialists who deal in this area. The average oral surgeon may not be the most qualified to do some of the necessary procedures. And that, again will depend on how much has to be done and if the jaw needs to be broken, repositioned, etc. This is very sophisticated, but generally successful work.

Regarding seeing a cosmetic surgeon: I suggest seeing a super-specialist in that realm. A super-specialist specializes in just four to seven procedures and is more likely to do it right the first time.

In modern medicine, knowledge about a particular specialty doubles every 18 months. Thus, the days of Jack-of-All-Trades now equals Master of None. In plastic surgery, no one surgeon can truly master all 138 cosmetic plastic surgery procedures. Today's medicine offers the specialist and then the super-specialist. 

The best cosmetic super-specialists can master and be efficient at four to seven procedures, doing only those operations daily. Another hint: look for a surgeon who has had a fellowship in the procedure you want. That means your surgeon – once he or she became a specialist -- has worked at the side of an older Master Surgeon for a year, studying and performing only several procedures. 

Super-specialist (a medical, not advertising term) is one of the highest caliber credentials a cosmetic surgeon can have. 

Another great service, Computer imaging, uploads an existing picture of the patient into a computer. Then, the surgeon and an artist sit down and work up a predicted picture of what you most likely will look like after surgery and healing. (The technology is also known as computer morphing.)

The final, healed patient picture is included so the three-picture panel is known as a triptych. In many cases, the actual after surgery, healed results look better than the predicted picture. Look for a practice that offers that service; it’s the best way to get a glimpse into the surgeon’s mind of what he or she is thinking about the changes that can be made to your appearance.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Chin augmentation options

Both sliding genioplasty and chin implantation are great options when it comes to chin augmentation. Sliding genioplasty has the benefit of allowing for increases (or decreases) in the vertical height of the chin which can be helpful in some people. 

If you aren't interested in sliding genioplasty I suspect you would be able to see quite a bit of improvement to your profile with a chin implant. There are numerous sizes available that you and your surgeon can discuss depending on how much augmentation you're interested in achieving.

you can read more about chin augmentation at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin augmentation

Popularity of chin implants is everywhere. It is nearly35 % in some polls. In the past 15 years the shape and long wings of the new implant styles offer a better , more convincing look .
However if you suffer from bite problems and jaw pain, you may have to "bite" the bullet and seek advice from an oral maxilofacial surgeon.
Certainly the chin implant is much easier, less expensive and reversible, although the vast majority are very pleased.

J. Smythe Rich, MD
Columbia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation -- implant vs. orthodontic surgery vs. sliding genioplasty

A sliding genioplasty and a chin implant won't change your bite -- that's the most important thing to keep in mind.  A jaw advancement surgery (orthodontic surgery) would help with the bite and projection.  If you don't want to go through that; however, a chin implant or sliding genioplasty could improve your profile greatly.  A chin implant is the simpler of the two procedures (both technically and in terms of surgical/ healing time).  The "size" of the implant should be customized and is typically discussed in the consultation.  Consult with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to discuss your options in person. I wish you well!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I get a chin implant or sliding genioplasty?

You do appear to have a recessed chin.  If you place your finger from your lips straight down, your chin should almost touch your finger.  Yours is far behind.  A chin implant will add projection to the chin area.  This implant will better balance the lower half of your face.

Chin implant vs jaw surgery

Given that you have an overbite you would clearly benefit from orthodontia in the context of possible orthodontic surgery.  That said if you do not wish oral surgery then you could proceed with a chin implant

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Do I get a chin implant or sliding genioplasty? If I get a chin implant, which size should I get?

It appears in the photo that your lower teeth are far behind the upper teeth. If that is truly the case neither option you mentioned would be a good choice. The mandible and teeth need to be moved forward.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Chin

I believe neither procedure works the best in your case. To get te best profile, lower jaw would have to be advanced. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

The photographs demonstrate a weak chin profile.   Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, which is usually determined at the time of the consultation and examination. A size small or medium anatomical wrap around chin implant is what we would normally use our practice. Chin implants  are composed of Silastic, are inserted through a sub mental approach under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. For many examples, diagrams and more information, please see the link and video below