Chin implant incision through existing scar? (photos)

I have an atrophic scar from a mole removal when I was 13 (I am now 25). I didn't mind my mole, it was the size of an eraser on the end of a pencil and now the scar really bothers me. I am looking into a chin implant and was wondering if it would be possible to do the incision through the existing scar in the hopes of doing a bit of a scar revision at the same time. It seems far-fetched, but it would be lovely.

Chin implant scar

It would not be possible to place chin implant using existing scar (incision). However, implant can be placed through an incision placed inside of your mouth which is invisible. Scar revision can be done in the same time. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant - can a mole scar be used?

Thank you for asking about your chin implant.
  • I am sorry you have a mole scar that is so distressing.
  • That scar can be improved either with filler to make it smooth or with microneedling or both.
  • But it cannot be used to place your implant - because it is too small and too far away.
  • Your chin implant incision will be under your chin and unlike your mole scar, barely visible.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Chin Implant and incision placement

Dear zarabb, Many patients have existing scars under their chins from early childhood accidents and these incisions can be used for chin augmentation however your existing scar is not in the area used for chin augmentation. You would however be an excellent candidate for chin augmentation and it would nicely balance your facial aesthetics.  See video above and link below for examples. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin implant through a scar

Unfortunately, the location of your scar would not be amenable for chin implant placement. You could consider specific scar revision treatments but your chin implant would need to be placed through a standard submental or intraoral approach.

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Placement of a chin implant through an existing scar

Chin implants can be placed through an existing scar, as long as the scar is underneath the chin and not out in the middle of cheek. Chin implants are composed of Silastic, and are manufactured in a variety of shapes and sizes which is best determined at the time of the consultation And examination. Digital computer imaging can also be performed at that time to give idea of what a chin implant would look like on the patient's facial features. For more information and many examples of chin implants, please see the video and the link below

Chin implant incision through existing scar?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery. The scar is too far away from the chin and would place the marginal mandibular branch, of the facial nerve, in jeopardy.  Using the small, curved incision under the chin would still be the best approach.

Hope this helps.

Chin Implant Surgery

It is hard to tell from your photos if you are a good candidate for a chin implant.  The scar you have is way back on the side of your jaw.  It may benefit from a scar revision but it cannot be used for placing a chin implant.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon