Do I need a breast lift or can I get away with just implants? (Photo)

43 years old, one child-breast fed for 1 year. 5'3" 120lbs..(in the process of losing 5 lbs I've put on since going back to school) Do I need a breast lift? Or can I get away with implants? I know I want silicon too .. I have a scar around half of my left areola from a previous lumpectomy.

The Bellesoma / Horndeski Breast Lift

Some women will really prefer a breast lift when they have a lot of skin and looseness. The Bellesoma ( is one of the best ways to do breast life with minimal visible scarring and no need for an implant as the breast is turned into a cone that is attached to the pectorals muscle, literally woven into it to hold it up. Some women who are small can get away with an implant that pushes the nipple forward and lightly upward, making it an illusion of a lift. An implant over time can create sagging so you need to make the decision after a lot of thought and care. Look for a surgeon that offers 24-Hour or Out To Dinner Recovery. I have had patients who get the surgery, have minimal discomfort, literally feels like their "milk coming in" after having a baby, and go to Florida the next day to recover on the beach (but not under water).

Need for lift

determined by your expectations and if you need perky, 20 y/o before kids, then a lift will likely benefit you.  BUT with my patients, I always counsel them on having the augmentation first on the possibility they will decide they do not need the lift after seeing their look with the implants.  Most women are completely happy with larger, somewhat natural looking breasts.  And small lifts can easily be done in the office under local if you're tolerant of the injections.

Curtis Wong, MD

Augmentation Mastopexy

Your arms are up in these photos, making your breasts appear less sagging then they really are.  You'll definitely need a lift if you want to have breasts that look normal and pretty. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in all forms of cosmetic breast surgery, not just implants. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Do you need a lift or can you get away with just implants?

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation.

Do I need a breast lift or can I get away with just implants?

Thank you for the question and photos. From your photos it appears that you will do well with just a breast augmentation. Careful examination and measurements are used in the office to decide whether to add a lift to an augmentation surgery, but in general, if the nipple is below the fold under your breast, then a lift is used to raise the nipple into a better position. It appears that your nipple is already in a good position. 

Breast lift with implants - considerations #plasticsurgery

Your 'selfie' photos have arms partially raised, so its tough to evaluate how much breast sagging you truly have - I suspect that a breast lift with implants would deliver a better cosmetic result than an implants alone - an in-person examination is critical to make this decision.

Do I need a breast lift or can I get away with just implants

Can you have it done, yes, you will be fuller, but the implant alone will not lift the new breast mound any higher than it is at present. You will have cleavage while in a bra but outside of a bra the breast will lie lower.

Julio Garcia, MD

Your photos may be misleading to the position of your arms.  Check in the mirror with your arms at your side and not raised whether your nipple is at or above your breast crease.  If above most patients don't need an uplift.  If at or slightly below a minor nipple elevation with a Benelli lift might be considered depending on your aesthetic goals.  Enjoy the results of your silicone breast implants and have a smooth recovery.   Also, don't miss the video above for additional useful information.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Taking a photo of the breasts with your arms raised gives an artificial lift to the breasts so we really can't give you any answers based on these photos. If the nipples are higher than the folds with the arms at your sides it is possible that implants alone is all you will need. I have the feeling that is going to be the case.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast augmentation/lift

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have an examination of your breasts done. At that point, the surgeon can recommend whether you need a breast lift, breast augmentation or both. From the photos you have posted, it seems as though a lift may not be necessary, a breast augmentation with implants may be sufficient to correct the sagging appearance and add projection and volume. At my office, we use Crisalix which is a virtual reality device that will allow you to view what your breasts would look like after a lift, or view different sizes of implants and pick which best suits your desires.  As the only board certified plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh offering this virtual reality imaging system, we have a 100% satisfaction rate.  Crisalix  is truly a unique experience for our patients as they can view themselves using virtual reality goggles and can instantly visualize their own breasts changing in size and shape with all of the various brands, sizes and shapes of breast implants.  Thus, our patients leave the consultation feeling confident with the size of the implant they chose.  
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon