Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck - Anomaly? (photo)

I am 10 days post-op. I had a breast lift without implant and a tummy tuck. I did this after having lost 100 pounds. My question is in regards to the bottom of the breast which appears to have a flat contour and the vertical skin fold above the belly button. Is this common/expected and will it resolve itself with time? Thank you.

Breast Lift Two Week Results

Thank you for your question about recovery from breast lift.

It is too early to make any real determinations.  Wait 3-6 months and evaluate.

For specific questions like this and about your recovery in general, it is best to speak directly with your doctor or doctor’s representative – such as his or her nurse, or the physician on call for the practice.

You will likely get many differing opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you. Nobody should know you or your unique set of circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second opinion and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in-person consultation with a thorough evaluation, including a review of your history, review of all prior treatment and with a physical examination.

Obviously, if you think that you are having a medical emergency or other serious problem, you should call 911 and/or go to your nearest emergency room.

Best Wishes.

Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck - Anomaly?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck - Anomaly?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. Congratulations on your weight loss and undergoing your procedure. You are only 10 days post-op, so you should not be worried about how things look now, as there is going to be a significant amount of change over time. With a breast lift with certain techniques (I am guessing you had an inferior pedicle life/reduction), the initial appearance is "boxy" and has a very flat bottom. This is intentional and the initial appearance with the technique. Over time, the vertical incision stretches out and the breast gets a more rounded shape and normal appearance, but this can take months to develop properly. I think at this time, you appear to have a great result. Be patient and follow the instructions of your PS.

Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck - Anomaly?

Congratulations on your weight loss and having undergone the body contouring surgery. Although I cannot predict exactly what changes you can expect with time, I can tell you that significant changes will occur over the next several months. Therefore, I would suggest that you continue to exercise patience;  remember that your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance/predictions.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with long-term.

How Long Does It Take To See The Final Shape After Breast Lift

A breast lift consists of moving the nipple to a higher position, tightening the skin, and possibly removing some tissue.  When the surgeon designs the skin pattern, he or she must anticipate the skin stretching which occurs as a normal part of the healing process.  The vertical distance from the nipple to the breast fold will increase about 25% or more.  To avoid bottoming out, we usually make the nipple to fold distance shorter than we want knowing it will stretch.  This results in a flat bottom of the breast until it stretches.  This takes 3-6 months.

Samuel Beran, MD