Can my areolas be worked on after breast augmentation? It's been 3 and a half months since my operation.

I had tuberous breasts with puffy areolas, we decided to skip surgery on the areolas and focus on the tubular appearance. While I'm happy with the shape of my breasts, I'm still unhappy with one areola. My right breast (which was bigger and had a larger areola) still makes my breast look tuberous. Is this something that can be fixed on just one areola instead of both, and can this be done without having to go under anaesthesia? I will be asking my plastic surgeon soon as well but wanted feedback

Next Surgery

Thanks for your question and congrats on getting through surgery.  Absolutely you can get surgical work on your areolar to better the appearance (although without pictures can't give you very specific advice).  However, most surgeons ask you to wait 3-6 months after your primary operation then move forward with surgery.  It is highly likely this procedure can be done under local anesthesia without the need for general anesthesia.  Best wishes!

Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

It's not possible to answer your question without more info and photos.  In general, I ask patient to wait at least 3 - 6 months before any revision surgery.  Also, areolar procedures can usually be done with local anesthetic depending on the patient.

Sounds like you will talking to your plastic surgeon.  He/she will be your best guide. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Tuberous breasts

Thank you for your question. I would typically recommend waiting at least 6 months post Op to undergo additional procedures, however what you are describing is something that can often be done with local anaesthetic. Your plan will depend on your examination and recommendations of your surgeon.

All the best

Areola reduction

can be done in the office under local... and if one is good, then focus only on the larger one as the scarring is somewhat unpredictable in these procedures.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tuberous Breast Surgery

You provide no photos and it is unclear what surgery you had.  Your description of your problem is inadequate to make a proper diagnosis and give a valid plan. Please re-post.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question. Without pictures or an exam, it is hard to give you specific advice. Generally speaking, it would be safe to proceed with nipple correction once you have fully healed from your augmentation. I would say that you should wait at least 3 months before proceeding and it sounds like you are already there. You should discuss with your plastic surgeon how and when to proceed. 

Can my areolas be worked on after breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  Generally, you may consider correction of your areolas after breast augmentation once you're fully healed.  Be sure to go over your options with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS