Will my areola stretch out significantly with my breast augmentation and should I also get areola reduction? (photo)

Hi! I'm 26yrs, 5'3, 110 lbs and looking to get breast augmentation. I would like to get 600cc in my right breast and 550cc in my left breast, with silicone implants. I'm concerned my areola will stretch with the increase in size and considering an areola reduction also. Are there any other methods besides the usual or any recommendations to reduce scarring from the areola reduction ? Thank you!

With my breast augmentation and should I also get areola reduction?

I would advise against an areolar reduction at the time of augmentation.  The implants will put a lot of tension on the areolar incisions and set you up for some unfavorable scars.  I would also advise against such large implants.  You are going to be very top heavy.  Maybe that's the look you want?  Also, with such large implants your breasts will be really, really big and your largish areolas may look just right. 

Your areola will stretch out

with augmentation.  But do you really want the scars and risks and additional costs of having a doughnut mastopexy which flattens projection and had the potential for horrible scarring?

Curtis Wong, MD

Areolar Stretch and Breast Augmentation

When you enhance your breasts with an implant, there is some stretch of the areola.  When the implant is placed under the muscle, the stretch is much less.   Generally, when the implant is large, there will be more areolar stretch.  Higher profile implants may also stretch the areola more than moderate profile implants.  If your areola is already on the larger side and/or the breast is low, you may wish to consider a circle (donut) mastopexy.  However, you should consider the tradeoff for an areolar scar if you wish to modify areolar size.  Hope this helps!   Best wishes.

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Will my areola stretch out significantly with my breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question and photo.  One would expect the areola to stretch out with an augmentation and if the current size is larger than what is desired then consideration of an areola reduction may be done.  You may be a candidate for a periareolar approach to the augmentation and at the same time have the reduction.  On the other hand if one wanted to see how the breast responded to the augmentation and then have the areolar reduction at later time this could be done as well.
I would start with with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Areola Stretching After Breast Augmentation

For most women there will some enlargement of the areola after a breast augmentation.  That being said, usually the amount of enlargement is significantly less proportionally than the  increase in their breast size from augmentation.  The areola is made of firm, fibrous tissues and is more resistant to stretching than other tissues of the breast.  If however the amount of enlargement is more than you desire, then an areolar reduction can be performed. In my experience, many patients who were at first concerned about enlargement of the areolas with a breast augmentation are happy with their results and do not have an areola reduction performed.  For this reason, I prefer to stage the possible areola reduction until the breast tissue changes have stabilized.  If an areola reduction is desired, this can be performed in the office under local anesthesia. 
There are a number of treatments that can be used to decrease the appearance of the scars after an around the areola incision.  This is something you can discuss with your plastic surgeon prior to proceeding.Best of luck with your surgery. 

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon