I just had a temporal brow lift -- two days post op and the right half of my forehead is paralyzed.

Surgeon said paralysis is likely permanent. I have researched on line and looks like this is a poor outcome which will change my face / forehead over time. Help? What do I do.

Paralysis after a procedure

indicates the nerve was injured or cut.  There are chances that function can come back but its also very real that it won't.  So you can hope for the best and expect the worse.  You can ask your surgeon for Botox to the other side so your face is even and animation the same.  Maybe things have changed from what I trained but this is not a nerve that people get excited about trying to repair.  So all you can really do is wait this out and try some Botox... which your surgeon may be happy to provide for you a couple of times as you wait.

Temporal brow lift - now right brow is paralyzed

Any time there is muscle weakness after a facial procedure, this is upsetting for all concerned. I am sorry this happening. The good news is that the vast majority of muscle weakness experienced after a procedure will resolve within days to a few months.  Most injuries to the motor nerve are not the result of the nerve being "cut" but merely "shocked" by stretching, nearby cautery, or a change in the nearby blood supply.  If in fact, the nerve is actually cut, there are procedures down the road to improve your condition that involve "dynamic re-animations" or "static suspensions". 

Paralysis Two Days after Temporal Browlift

Dear Valleyford, I am unsure as why your surgeon stated two days post surgery that he/she thinks the paralysis is permanent. In most cases this is just a temporary scenario that resolves itself during the recovery phase. If it turns out to be permanent then your surgeon should refer you to a specialist for consultation. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Forehead paralyzed

Dear Valleyford,

I'm sorry to hear about this issue. If your surgeon said that the damage was permanent, the nerve that goes to that muscle was injured during the procedure. There are some things that can be done to even the motion of the forehead out. I would advise you to see a surgeon who specializes in facial nerve disorders and the treatment of facial paralysis.

Please contact our office if you would like more information. I am the director of the facial nerve center in Salt Lake City and can either help with treatment or simply provide some recommendations.

Good luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early muscle weakness

Early muscle weakness should not be cause for huge concern.  You will likely get movement back over the next few months.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS

Post temporal brow lift

The frontal branch of the facial nerve which raises your forehead runs in the temporal area.  Doing surgery in this region can cause some temporary paralysis of the muscles.  This can occur from stretching of the nerve during the dissection, cautery around the nerve, or if the nerve has been cut.  The paralysis almost always resolves but it can take a few months.  

If it lasts more than a couple of weeks, you can put some Botox into the other side so that they look the same until the nerve starts working again. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon