I had a benelli lift. My nipples have stretched so much and look huge now. Can I get my nipples reduced in size? (photo)

I have breastfed twice and they are about 8 years old. The incision was around the nipple.

Areolar reduction

Your areolae could be reduced very effective with a vertical ("lollipop") mastopexy.  As you can see in the attached webpage, there vertical scar is quite acceptable in most cases and it allows the tension to be taken off the areola closure.

Areolas are huge due to Benelli pexy

and trying to reduce them would be challenging and you would have to consider a traditional lollipop incision and accept retained areola near the top of the vertical incision and possibly downsizing to allow for this.  You could later have a re-augmentation with larger implants if still important for you.  Doing a repeat Benelli would be a huge mistake and only make revisions in the future more challenging.  Besides the poor scar, Benelli's flatten projection which most people want to preserve.

Curtis Wong, MD

I had a benelli lift. My nipples have stretched so much and look huge now. Can I get my nipples reduced in size?

I have commented previously that the periareolar (or so-called Benelli) breast lift is a flawed operation. Firstly, it fails it primary test, i.e., that it actually lift the breast. In fact it provides only very weak lift. Secondly, despite the placement of a strong, permanent purse-string suture, the areola very often spreads out to an unsightly diameter. Finally, this mastopexy flattens the breast, which obviously is not the purpose of an aesthetic breast operation. I rarely do Benelli mastopexies and prefer the vertical, or lollipop breast lift. I recommend you follow up with your original surgeon. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of that discussion you should seek a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon who can explore your options with you. All the best.

The areolae can be reduced in size.   The breast lift likely needs to be changed to a different form of lift.

Beverly Hills, CA

Lift

Thank you for the question and photos and from them without an ext it appears you would benefit from another lift and possibly a lollipop lift this time.  So see some experts in your area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Revision of breast lift

Your breasts can be more attractive with another breast lift, although the new scar will need to come down to the bottom of the breasts from the nipples. Your skin looks stretched; did you have implants put in at the time of the Benelli lift?

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

I had a benelli lift...

Yes, your lift can be revised or you can just have your areolas revised. It just depends on your preference. Obviously, just doing the areolas is a simpler procedure.

Terry E. Restivo, DO
Napa Physician

Revise Periareolar scar

Yes you can revise the scar around the areola and make it smaller. It, however, will have a flattenning effect on the shape of the breast. I would recommend converting to a vertical lift to both lift the breast and decrease the diameter of the areola. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast lift and implants

Sure the lift can be revised and the size and shape of the breast can be modified at your discretion.  Please go to the Smart Beauty Guide to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area or your previous surgeon if that is possible.

Nipple size

Thanks for your question.  The simple answer is yes, there are techniques to reduce your nipple size.  The use of a Gortex interlocking suture can significantly reduce nipple stretching.  That being said, there is a limit to how much skin can be removed using only a Benelli approach.  Given your areolar size, and the amount of ptosis that you have, you would likely  get a better result with a more aggressive breast lift.  Although you would have more scars, I believe that your breast shape and nipple diameter could be much better controlled.