What can I do to get rid of age spot on my face?

Get Rid of Facial Age Spots

Dear SHELLEYANDY:

The initial step is to consult an expert to ensure that there are no sinister spots on the face.  Lasers and IPL are great at removing benign pigmented age spots.  Best wishes.

Melarase PM creams to help reduce pigmentation

I would use a combination of Melarase AM, Melarase PM, and Melapads to help reduce pigmentation on the skin. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

age spot(s)

Thanks for your question. I recommend a laser treatment. When a laser shines on your skin, the dark patches absorb more energy and suffer damage before the lighter colored skin around them. The darker colored skin cells die and are removed, while the lighter colored skin cells remain unharmed. This process, known as selective photothermolysis, is the same process behind laser hair removal. We have many different lasers and lights that we can use to remove age spots. For most people, we use a laser that removes age spots in a single treatment. A second treatment with this laser may be necessary for a small number of people. For people with very sensitive skin, a light treatment may be used to gradually reduce the appearance of age spots over two to five treatments. Hope this helps.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Many Treatments for Age Spots

Age spots are flat, brown, gray or black spots on the skin usually on the sun exposed areas of skin.  (if they are not growing in size, changing color, bleeding etc. signs of skin cancer- if unsure check with you family physician or Dermatologist)   There are many treatments for these spots.  The first line of treatment is for skin creams which are often referred to as bleaching creams, or creams which suppress the pigment in your skin.  Some are botanicals (naturally occurring) and some are prescription strength- requiring a Physician’s prescription.  To reduce new ones sunscreens, sun-blocks and sun protective clothing are an important line of defense.  Other treatments such as peels, IPL treatments and Lasers are for more stubborn  spots and can be recommended by your Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Age Spot Treatment

Thank you for your question in regards to age spots. There are several different treatments to help improve the appearance of age spots, such as:
  • IPL | BBL
  • Halo
  • Photofacial
  • Chemical Peels
  • Microneedling 
  • Hydroquinon
It is important to have a skin care regimen with a daily sunscreen to help protect future age spots from appearing. To be sure what is best for you and your skint type, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Depends on your budget and color of your skin

The cheapest way is to use sunscreen every day, regularly exfoliate with retinol or glycolic acid topical products or gentle peels, and use a cream with a bleaching agent such as hydroquinon. Triluma is a prescription product that contains both retinol and hydrowpquinon. For faster results, and if you are darker skin type, a series of VI peels can remove the spots. For lighter skin types a series of IPL photo facial lasers or a series of fractional lasers can remove age spots, improve tone and texture and give the skin a nice glow with minimal downtime in a series of 3-4 treatments. Continuous sun protection is key or sun spots will return. Good luck!

Neda Vanden Bosch, MD
West Palm Beach Physician

Age Spots on Face and Treatment lasers versus Peels

I utilize all different types of lasers ranging from IPL, Fraxel, eMatrix, Clear & Brilliant to TCA chemical peels and the Tri-Vantage for brown spots on the face and body.  Depending on the amount of sun spots you have you may need more than one treatment.  Please consult a specialist for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Peels vs lasers

Lots of methods, depending on how severe. I still do old fashioned TCA peels, upon request, however in this day and age of lasers, I use everything from IPL, fractional - Fraxel, Co2, erbium, and Pico lasers to remove age spots. 

I have attached a video of only one of these treatments that I use for age spots. Cheers

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

What can I do to get rid of age spot on my face? =it depends if you want a downtime or not #agespots #peel #obagi #drmesa

In my practice, patients interested in getting rid of age spots on their faces are told the recommended treatment depends on  their availability for down time.

A chemical peel (or a laser) is  a "fast treatment" that removes most of the age spots in 1 week, but it does require one week down time for recovery due to the significant redness associated with the procedure (e.g. "Sex and the City Samantha's tomato red face")

Obagi Nu Derm skin transformation system is an "slow treatment" that removes most of the age spots with minimal downtime. Obagi nu deem is a medical grade cream system, only available ad doctors offices ( e.g. plastic surgeon's offices) that delivers a result similar to a strong chemical peel, but over a 3 month period (12 weeks). This treatment is very popular among my professional patients that have no available down time due to work (specially CEOs, VPs, teachers, etc). 

Therefore, the treatment to choose to get rid off age spots depends on the "speed" of the results and the "availability" for down time. 

John Mesa, MD

Removing Age Spots - Many Options

Thank you for sharing your question. In our practice, we have had success using a variety of different laser
treatments to address unwanted age spots. A BBL, or Broad Band Light laser, similar to an IPL laser, or photo facial, can help address discrete brown spots and be used to maintain even skin tone. For patients who have chronic sun damage, we recommended a hybrid factional laser called HALO, which is a resurfacing laser with minimal down time. In addition to laser treatments, prescription strength fading creams are also a good adjunct to slowly fade pigment. Regardless of your treatment choice, I strongly recommend daily use of a physical block
sunscreen to prevent further discoloration. 

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS