Is it normal to have a sudden indentation along where my areola incision was from my silicone implants due breastfeeding?

I got my silicone breast implants almost 5 years ago through the areola. My scarring is pretty significant and has always bothered me. Immediately after surgery I noticed that when I flex there is an indentation along both scars. I am currently breastfeeding and suddenly have an indentation without flexing on my right breast under my areola where my incision was. Is this due to breastfeeding and will it return to normal once I ween the baby? Or could this be something more serious?

Scar Tethering

You have internal scaring spanning from the skin surface to the implant capsule.  This is an under reported complication of periareolar incisions. Surgeons are just not acknowledging the increased risk of capsular contracture with periareolar incisions, scar tethering is just another reason to avoid this incision. 

You will need to be examined to ascertain the best course of action for you.  Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that are expert in all forms of cosmetic breast surgery.

Breast Changes/Breastfeeding

Thank you for your question. It would be best to have this assessed in person. Your Plastic Surgeon knows your situation the best and a physical exam will be needed to properly evaluate.

All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast implants - are breast feeding changes serious?

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• The indentation is probably a temporary effect of breast feeding.
  • However at your next post-partum visit, have your obstetrician check you to be sure there is no change in the breast that is of concern.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD