How soon is it OK to do lower body workouts? Legs, booty and core?

I am gaining weight quickly and losing all of my hard earned results that I had before my surgery . I need to get back into doing something physical beyond walking . My body needs to be worked out 5 to 7 days a week to keep in the condition I've gotten used to . I've gained 3 inches in my midsection already

Working out after a Breast Augmentation

Every surgeon will have different preferences about when you can return to working out, best to check what your surgeon recommends. Below is what I expect for my patients post-operatively regarding working out. Two weeks post op: You may begin NON IMPACT cardio. This includes walking on a treadmill, using the elliptical machine without the use of your arms, stair climber, stationary bike, etc… Weight restrictions include not lifting anything over 10-15 pounds. No legs, core, chest, arms or upper back exercises allowed. Two months post op: You may begin MODERATE IMPACT cardio, such as light jogging and workout classes like Zumba. Core and leg work is also allowed. Still no chest, arms, shoulder or upper back training.Three months post op: You are unrestricted at this point, but remember to start slow with low weight (low means 2-3lbs!) and high repetitions. Do not do anything too fast or too heavy! Start doing push ups against a wall/counter, then knees and finally progress to the floor. Use resistance bands instead of pull ups. If you do Crossfit or have a trainer, start with a modified workout. REMEMBER LIGHT WEIGHT AND HIGH REPS!

It is very important that you discuss working out with your plastic surgeon and follow his or her advice.  That said Most patients can resume lower body mild workouts by 2 weeks after breast augmentation.  However if your implants are placed under the muscle your surgeon may want to to wait longer.  Please question your plastic surgeon about this and do not follow Internet advice.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

When is it okay to do a leg workout after breast augmentation surgery?

Let me first say follow your surgeon's recommendations, however if something dreadful has happened to him or her and you can't get an answer, then I would say, you can walk on a treadmill at 3 weeks (a true walk - no faster than 3.0) but no weights at all for 6 weeks.  Most leg exercises have you holding a bar (squats) or at least supporting your upper body (stair climber or elliptical) to some degree.  I never like routine, isolated chest workouts due to the risk of the constant pressure the pectoralis muscle puts on the implant leading to implant malposition, but if you must then wait at least 3 months.  I hope that helps.  If you are gaining weight, then go walk.  Walking burns as much fat as anything.  After 3 weeks I let my patients walk as far and as long as they want.

Recovery time frame

Thank you for your question, and I wish you a speedy recovery! It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon his/her specific recommendations as far as return to activity. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. I prefer to wait at least 6-8 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon