28 years old hair loss. How can I get my hair back and stop hair loss?

I am loosing hair severely. It is mainly on top of my head. I have pretty long hair and it looks fool overall but scalp already is very visible at the center part of my head. It is very scary and I am so disappointing I am just 28 years old....My parent have the same issue, so I know its heredity. I want to know what non surgical options are available to me. How can I get my hair back and stop hair loss?

Doctor Answers 5

Medical Management of Hair Loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would recommend you see a hair restoration specialist sooner than later to evaluate your hair loss and if possible medically manage it with topical solutions, oral medication, and possible at home laser devices.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

You need to find out why you are losing hair before considering hair loss treatment options.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You need to find out why you are losing hair before considering hair loss treatment options.  See a doctor for a proper exmanination.  Surgery may or may not be an option.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 103 reviews

Hair loss treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are many different causes for hair loss. You need to see your hair restoration specialist to make a diagnosis for the cause of your hair loss. once the diagnosis is established then your doctor can give recommendation as for the treatment option that best suits your need. If you hair loss is genetic, under the supervision of a hair loss specialist, you can start on a medical regiment to slow down your hair loss such as minoxidil, propecia, PRP, laser, vitamins and shampoos. You need to stay on the regiment to see any result. however,  the medical regiment helps to reduce or slow down future hair loss, to regain the lost hair you may want to consider hair transplant.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Hair loss in 20s

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You need to see a hair loss specialist and get evaluated for your hair loss.  Patterened hair loss is usually genetic as you mentioned and you will follow the pattern of someone else in family in most cases.  There are medications that can prevent hair loss and buy you time and when the time comes you might need a hair transplant procedure to restore the areas that hair loss is not reversible with the medications only.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Female Pattern Balding

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It certainly does sound like female pattern balding and many women do have a strong family history. I have noticed in my practice that many women with female pattern balding, their mother also has female pattern balding as well. Most women I see have already been seen by a dermatologist for a correct diagnosis. You should pursue medical therapy before or instead of hair restoration surgery.You may benefit from using Minoxidil topically but I encourage you to see a dermatologist or endocrinologist as well. As always avoid smoking as it does aggravate hair loss, eat as pure a diet as possible avoiding preservatives as I believe they aggravate hair loss as well. Most preservatives are oxidizers and damage all cells in the body including the cells that make up hair follicles.  

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.