I'm looking for advice on lipo or Vaser

I would like to get lipo or vazor the least of the two in invasive. I have bad skin and have gotten infections from surgeries coming from operating room. I want to know if this would be a safe option for me. Can the infections be avoided?

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

VASER hi def is the most rewarding but aggressive type of liposuction procedure.  It should be performed by an expert and you would need a formal consultation to see what is best.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Advise on lipor or vaser regarding infection

Infection from surgery is  always a risk.  Your plastic surgeon shld be able to take several precautions to lower the risks extra steps as much as possible since you have had post surgical infections.  Liposuction with or without Vaser should not have a significant difference in  risks of surgical infections.

Always check if surgery center is certified by a national organization, and that your plastic surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Good luck to you.

Stanley P. Gulin, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or Vaser

Thank you for asking about your liposuction or Vaser.
  • Vaser is a form of liposuction that uses heat generated from ultrasound.
  • Like laser liposuction, it can burn skin and causes nerve pain.
  • Standard liposuction will give you as good a result without the additional risks of Vaser.
  • Given your history of infections, only a careful examination and history can tell you if any surgery is safe and how to minimize the risk of an infection -
  • Fortunately infection after liposuction is very rare.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Is liposuction or Vaser (ultrasonic lipo) less invasive

Liposuction is performed by first infusing a very dilute local anesthesia (tumescent solution) and then suctioning out the excess fat. Although the incisions are quite small this is certainly an invasive procedure but generally with an easy healing process. Ultrasonic liposuction (brand name Vaser) involves an extra step in which the fat is essentially dissolved prior to suctioning it out. Although slightly more invasive (because it involves an extra step) the healing process is sometimes easier depending on the site. Ultrasonic is particularly good for areas which have had liposuction previously or areas that are particularly fibrous such as the upper abdomen or male breasts. At  Accurate Aesthetics Plastic Surgery I have been performing liposuction since 1985. Ultrasonic liposuction is a newer procedure and I have performing this for only 20 years. I also perform power assisted liposuction which is a power operated canula that makes the liposuction easier for both the patient and surgeon. Only a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon who utilizes various methods will give you the best option for your particular needs. Remember that if you really desire a non-invasive method method with no healing process there are other options such as Exilis which will melt away the fat with heat. These methods do not do as much as liposuction but do provide some results. it just depends what you are looking for with results and what kind of downtime you are able to endure.