I Really Want a Vaginoplasty. Can I Just Make An Appointment For One?

I had a baby 3 months ago, and I don't ever intend to have more children. one was a bad enough experience. While I am not very loose down there, I do feel like sex is not as good as it was earlier. I am doing kegals, but I don't want to wait. I want to get this fixed asap. Can I simply ask for a vaginoplasty? Can a doctor actually refuse to perform the procedure? I know I want one- it is not the same for my husband and me, and thats all I care about.

Doctor Answers 4


It's not that simple.  Vaginoplasty - and, in fact, all terms that use "plasty" - incorporate many different techniques and procedures, depending on exactly what the problem is, and what you're willing and interested in having done.  You'll need to be assessed by one (or more) surgeons to see what your options are, and then you'll be in a position to make an informed decision.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 125 reviews


You will need to have an examination by a surgeon who performs this procedure.  Just like you have a checklist for choosing a specific surgeon, surgeons also have things they look for in a patient (that make a patient a "good candidate" for surgery).

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,502 reviews


Of course it should be possible to improve the situation. If there was any trauma during the childbirth (for example a tear or an episiotomy) it may be prudent to wait slightly longer to allow any inflammation to completely settle down.

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 32 reviews


Sure it is okay to seek consultations for vaginoplasty.  You will need to find a local doctor who performs the procedure or travel to one that does.  It is not an issue of a doctor refusing to perform the procedure.  It may just not be a procedure that he or she performs.  


Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 77 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.