I am in Vacaville, CA and I am unsure about a doctor for my facelift. How can I find the right one? (Photo)

I have interviewed 3 . But I'm not feeling it.. I'm comfortable with Botox and filler, but I need a great surgeon for cutting my face!! I need my cheeks lifted back up , and my neck and jawline restored along with upper lower bleth ! Any help or direction would be great ..

You're Right to Be Choosy

Many patients describe a facelift as a life-changing procedure, and it begins with a surgeon who understands and can deliver your ideal outcome. Beyond "not feeling it," I would invite you to try to pinpoint what is making you hesitate -- and use that as your criteria for the perfect surgeon. If it's too big a leap without some reassurances, for example, look for a board-certified plastic surgeon with strong reviews online and/or ask to speak with previous patients of his/hers – most of us have several patients who are comfortable and open to discussing their journey. The number of years of experience the surgeon has may help along with their main surgical interest during their post-curriculum fellowship years. If you've exhausted the roster of plastic surgeons in your area, it may be time to use RealSelf to help you consider where to travel for your procedure, as well. It is crucial to "feel it" with the chosen plastic surgeon. I hope you find the right surgeon.

Finding and Selecting the Right Surgeon for a Facelift

The most important thing when choosing your surgeon is finding someone you feel at ease with and trust. Beyond this, there are several criteria I urge you to use in selecting the right person. You want an expert facial surgeon. A facelift and any other facial procedure are truly not "one style fits all". Look for someone who is comfortable in multiple facelift techniques and can tailor the procedure to your specific goals. Don't be shy about asking about board certification, training, previous results, and their involvement in the aesthetic surgery community. 

Additionally, you want one who will work closely with you and be personally available to you before, during and long after the day of surgery. Ask for a patient reference or two that you can call. You can learn a lot about the surgeon, his skill and bedside manner.   

I commend you for taking the time to find the right surgeon for your procedure. There is no easy way to cover up poorly done cosmetic surgery on the face and it is always harder (and more expensive) to fix the problem then having it done right the first time. The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) website is a good place to find a list of surgeons, websites and contact numbers.  

Daniel Beck, MD

Don't sign on for a facelift until you feel completely comfortable with your surgeon.

From the photograph it looks as though you'd be an excellent candidate for a facelift. This is an elective cosmetic procedure and you should not proceed unless you feel completely comfortable with your surgeon.Consider interviewing Dr. Brian Toth in San Francisco.

More options

Thank you for question.  The "right" surgeon has to fulfill many criteria.  Not only does one need to have the knowledge and surgical expertise but you as the patient have to feel comfortable with them and their staff.  The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery has a heading called "Find a Surgeon" on their website.  Maybe that will provide you more options.  All the best!

Babar Sultan, MD
Towson Facial Plastic Surgeon

It's Good to Shop Around

I think you're doing yourself a favor by holding out for a doctor with whom you connect. When planning plastic surgery, it's vital to feel like your surgeon is really hearing you and understanding your desires. RealSelf is a great resource for finding surgeons near you, as it provides a sort of one-stop shop for before-and-after photos, reviews, and more. During your consultation, don't be afraid to ask questions. Be forthcoming with your expectations, but keep in mind that a good surgeon won't guarantee perfect results or perform unnecessary procedures just because you want them. You may also begin to consider traveling outside of your immediate area to expand your options. It can be a challenge to find, but your match is out there! Best of luck with your search.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Always Best to See a Board Certfied Plastic Surgeon

It is important to choose a highly skilled and experienced surgeon to match your #facelift goals and skin type with the appropriate surgical techniques.
Also, its best to work with a #board #certified plastic surgeon who is highly trained with your desired procedures. I also encourage you to look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients. Also, reading patient reviews of those who have had combined surgeries will be beneficial. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Finding the right surgeon

Undergoing surgery is a big deal and you should feel confident that you are choosing the right surgeon.  Online reviews can often be helpful when searching for a surgeon to hear experiences from other patients.  If you are not confident in any of the surgeons you have met, you may want to keep looking until you find the right match. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

I am unsure about a doctor for my facelift. How can I find the right one?

Hi, I have performed many facelifts over the past 30 years. Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.   I combine liposuction to reduce excess fat and further shape the cheeks.

Jowls are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured.  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I tell potential facelift patients to think of creating a more beautiful or handsome face by working on three tissue levels.  The bony structure should be appropriate to make a woman’s face heart shaped and a man’s face chiseled and angular which is described below.  Next the fatty layer should be reduced or shaped allowing the shape to be seen and finally excess SMAS and skin (evidenced by the presence of jowls) should be removed from the face and neck.

Hope this helps.

Photos, patient testimonials

ask around, that may be a great place to start.  then, ask to see before and after photographs.  in addition, make sure that the surgeon is board certified in plastic surgery.  

Ethan Philpott, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Finding The Right Surgeon For A Facelift

The key element in choosing a Facelift surgeon is someone who is
a true expert. An expert is one who is Experienced and performs
facelifts frequently at least 2-3 times a week, has Expertise and has written and teaches others about the facelifts, and one who can show you Excellent results. Plastic surgery, when performed by a
qualified expert, is very safe and very effective. This should
be done in the hands of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with expertise in facial rejuvenation.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD