Pregnant 3 weeks post op. Is this going to mess up my recovery?

My period has always been irregular because of thyroid disease and a lot of exercising. I had my breast aug done 12/14. I took 3 negative home test and the dr tested me, also negative. Now today I got 4 positive tests! Do i need to worry about the baby since i went under anesthesia and took pain killers for a week? also, my breasts are of course still healing- is this going to mess up my recovery?

Pregnancy post op

The truth of the matter is that during the course of pregnancy and breastfeeding, the breast tissue expands in response to the changes in hormones that occur during these times.  That expansion of the breast tissue also causes expansion of the overlying breast skin.  Very typically what happens is when the breastfeeding period comes to an end and the breast tissue is no longer supported by the hormones, the breast tissue will shrink, but the overlying skin doesn’t shrink to adjust to the loss of volume to the breasts.  This combination of expanded skin and reduced breast tissue is what produces the sagging appearance of the breasts.  This is true whether you have had breast augmentation surgery in the past or not.  Quite often, there may be minimal to no changes of the relative position of the breast implant that has healed in a space next to the chest wall.  Most of the changes that occur with pregnancy will occur in the breast tissue and more superficial to the position of the breast implant especially if your implant is under the muscle.  In other words, your muscle will keep your implant in that healed and relatively fixed position. 

What I advise patients who have had breast augmentation surgery in the past and have gone through pregnancy and breastfeeding period is to allow the breasts to settle for about 2-3 months.  After that time, you can evaluate it to see if a breast lift surgery is indicated to get the look you desire.  There are different types of breast lift surgeries according to the degree of drooping of the breasts.  The best way to determine which operation would be best for you is really to schedule a consultation with your Plastic Surgeon.  Thank you for your question. 

Pregnant 3 weeks post op

You should talk to your OB/GYN and discuss your concerns of the anesthesia and the recovery. 
You should also let your plastic surgeon know!

Congratulations!

Positive pregnancy tests

A positive pregnancy test at this point should be investigated by seeing your obstetrician. Good luck.

Pregnant 3 weeks post op

Thank you for the question. I doubt the surgery had any effects on the baby since you were tested negative during that time but best to follow up with your ob/gyn.  Reagrding your recovery, each person heals at the same way but it's highly unlikely you are going to have complications due to pregnancy.  Be in close touch with your board-certified plastic surgeon.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Congratulations on your recent surgery as well as your pregnancy.  The questions regarding the effects on the baby need to be directed to your OB/Gyn.  Most likely, if your tests were negative around the time of surgery, the effects on the baby should be minimal.  Regarding your recovery from your surgery, it is difficult to know how your breasts will respond.  Every woman's breasts will change differently during pregnancy in response to your changing hormones.  Make sure you continue to follow up with your surgeon.

Naveen Setty, MD

Pregnancy after breast augmentation

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Most of your questions really need to be directed to your OB/GYN. In terms of the results from your breast surgery, you will likely just go through the typical changes to the breast from the hormone fluctuations. After delivery and breast feeding, the breast may lose some volume, and then you would have additional options if you wish such as breast lift. It should not affect your implants though. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Breasts Adapt Well to Pregnancy.

I have had several patients become pregnant after breast augmentation over the years. Most of the time, small breasted women adapt very well to the changes of pregnancy. Some will have more stretching and ptosis after completing pregnancy and breast-feeding. Time will tell,  but most will snap back  very well. 

If you had a negative pregnancy test, on the day of your surgery, then, you likely had no little to no influence on the baby. Consult your obstetrician for the best information.