Medial thigh lift and mommy makeover. If done separately does it matter which area of the body is done first?

I am researching MTL & MMO in hopes to find the right Dr. to have this done by March 2017. I realize that each area may need to be done in 2-3 different procedures depending on the extent of each procedure and physician preference. Is there a specific order that works best for these 3 areas? I'm considering having my thighs done out of state with a Dr. that seems to have more experience with thighs than ones in my area. I have not had MWL, mother of 4, 50-70lb weight gain and loss with each.

Mommy Makeover and Thighs

There are several reasons based on a lot of experience that I prefer doing the thigh lift surgery separately (usually after) a mommy makeover.

1) Your mobility from the tummy and breast part of the procedure is need your arms and legs to work during this time.
2) The garment to compress your tummy, hips, and waist interferes and rubs on the inner thigh area and makes care of your incisions more difficult.

3) The tummy incision which goes down to the pubic hairline (or lower) can make swelling in that area a lot worse when you also have groin incisions from the inner thigh lift nearby.

4) I think having the lower abdomen skin tight and flat makes it easier to lift the inner thighs at a second stage. 

Mommy make-over and medial thigh lift - which comes first?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over and thigh lift.
  • Your mommy make-over will take one or two procedures, depending on what is done.
  • Generally the thigh lift is done afterwards since the tummy tuck and liposuction of the tummy may affect the thighs.
  • I would suggest you have those procedures done first before going out of town for the medial thigh lift.
  • Among other benefits, you will have a plastic surgeon who knows you who may be willing to do your post-operative care after the thigh lift.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy Makeover and Inner Thigh Lift

Hi RTmomma

Timing and sequencing of these large procedures is complex and requires a complete medical history and examination.

I usually ask the patient to tell me what bothers her the most and what would make her the happiest if taken care of first.  Then I ask the second most important, etc.  It is important to prioritize.

Based on your presentation, it may be best to do three separate procedures. 

Depending on what needs to be done with the breasts (lift, aug, lift plus aug) and what needs to be done with tummy (lipo only, tummy tuck) will play an important role.

It is usual to do the breast and abs at the same time and the inner thighs at another time.  Personally, I think doing all this is too much surgery for one time.  Recovery will be very hard.

so, you need to discuss these issues and come up with a plan.  Also, consider a surgeon close enough to care for you in the event of a complication.  Inner thighs do commonly have slow or problem wound healing.

All the best.

Thank you for your excellent question and for doing your research.  Depending on what procedures you are interested in for your mommy makeover I would favor doing this first and the medial thigh lifts second.  Most patients see such a dramatic change in appearance with their MMO that it gets them ready for their next staged procedure.  That said there is no problem with doing your thighs first if they are a greater source of issue.  Best wishes on your surgeries!

Thank you for the question I think that you are wise in staging the procedures. In my opinion, it will not matter which operation is performed first.  Best wishes for outcomes that you will be very pleased with.

Thigh Lift or Mommy Makeover

I would recommend you do your #mommymakeover first and have your #medicalthighlift second as a separate surgical procedure.  That being said, I would need to examine you in person to give my best recommendation.
Please make an in-person consultation with a #boardcertified plastic surgeon to determine the best plan of action for your surgical procedures.
Best of luck.

Finding the right surgeon

Pregnancy and motherhood are wonderful and exciting times in a woman’s life. Many women, however, will experience unwanted permanent physical changes that are not always desirable. All too often, women find it emotionally and physically difficult to adjust to these new changes in their bodies affecting their self-esteem and personal self-image. These changes vary greatly and range from stretch marks and varicose veins to the more significant changes such as, smaller and sagging breasts, enlarged waist with redundant skin and larger hips.
Fortunately, there are many treatments available to correct or improve these common post-pregnancy changes. Many of these procedures are non-surgical or relatively simple outpatient surgeries. Some treatments are possible because of new technology such as lasers and liposuction developed in just the last few years. These surgeries are commonly known as the “mommy makeover”.

Far more important than deciding if a tummy tuck or a mommy makeover is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that!
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!
I have also attached a video for a possible Mommy Makeover Candidate.