Vitamins, supplements and other things to avoid prior to surgery?

I am having breast revision surgery with a lift on the 7th of July, 2016. I am athletic and work out 3 days per week and take Vitamins, supplements and protein shakes. Since my surgery date is quickly approaching, I was wondering what exactly to avoid (i. e. Medicines, Vitamins, Supplements, coffee, etc). Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

What Vitamins and Supplements to Take or Avoid Before Breast Revision

Hopefully this is something your surgeon will go over with you. I have a three page list of items that I give my patients, I want them on high quality vitamins but want them to avoid anything that has blood thinners in it. I have them bring me a list of everything that they take. You might give your surgeon a list of all of your supplements. Good luck.

What Vitamins, Supplements, etc to Avoid prior to Surgery

This is a subject that your surgeon should have already discussed with you. We always stop everything that our patients take and put them on a regimen designed specifically not to interfere with anesthesia or healing or prolong bleeding. For you, I would make sure you avoid all aspirin, anti-inflammatory meds and all supplements. You also need to make sure that any vitamins you take do not contain Vitamin E. Though you did not mention it and it may not apply, if you smoke or use any nicotine products, you need to stop them immediately. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon