Rejecting deep sutures. Will this affect the look of my scar?

I had a breast lift, no implants 9 weeks ago. I had the issue of spitting stitches, holes in the "T" zone, Doctor removing stitches and then an infection. Ever since the surgery my breast have been inflamed and I keep getting these painful sores. Went to the PS and he said that I am now rejecting the deep sutures (he used Quill). Saturday I have to go back into surgery to have them removed and re-closed using surgical thread. Is this common and will it affect the look of the scar? So frustrated

Rejecting deep sutures.

Sorry to hear that you are requiring another surgery.
Although it is not common, suture spitting can occur.  Most times the spitting sutures can be removed in office. Once the sutures are removed, the wound should heal soon afterwards.
It is difficult to understand your plastic surgeon's treatment plan without seeing your  wound in-person.
Good luck with recovery.

Scarring

It sounds as if your surgeon is following the exact plan of action that I would for one of my patients. In terms of your scarring, it will in all likelihood be no worse for the experience. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Suture Spitting

It is very common for people to have an inflammatory response to different types of sutures.  Fortunately with good wound care and a possible small scar revision, most patients will still have excellent results.  Good luck!

Spitting sutures

Some sutures last longer than others, and if you rehabbing problems with the quill then perhaps they need to be changed. 

Spitting sutures

Unfortunately, spitting sutures happen more frequently than we would like in plastic surgery. The correct treatment is exactly what your doctor has proposed to remove the suture is causing the problem and if necessary change to a different type of suture if that's necessary to hold things together in that location. Be patient, in the end, most of the time the scar will look quite good despite this minor setback. Follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS