Can the tip and nostrils of my nose be made larger?

I had rinoplasty 7 months ago, I hate how small my nose is shrinking, I specifically told the doctor I didn't want a tiny nose it doesn't go well with my face. He took the nostrils in so far it looks like I have a tiny skinny nose, also I can't breathe very well at all. Is there any way to make the nostrils larger and the tip and bridge of my nose larger? I am not happy with my results!Also, is there a lot more nerve damage for a second rinoplasty? What kind of doctors should I research for this

Widening a Narrowed Nose

Thank you for your question.  The quick answer is Yes, you can do some things to widen an overly narrowed nose.  There are grafts that can be placed in the tip and bridge that will both widen the appearance and improve the caliber of your airway.  The base of the nostrils can be a more difficult problem if they were overdone.  Revision rhinoplasty is a very complex operation and, obviously, you would need an in-person consultation.  We have a very busy primary and revision rhinoplasty practice with patients coming in from around the world.  Please refer to our rhinoplasty gallery on our website.  There are many examples of both primary and revision rhinoplasty cases.

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello Vivhar - Thanks for your question.  It sounds like you may be looking for a revision rhinoplasty.  It is possible to enlarge the tip and the bridge, but widening the nostrils will be a little bit more difficult.  There is a procedure called a V-Y advancement that can be used to reverse the nostril narrowing you had performed. It will leave scarring in the nose that may be visible.  The amount of nerve damage during a revision rhinoplasty can't be determined. There will be scar in your nose from your first rhinoplasty, and the blood supply will be altered due to this. A revision rhinoplasty must be performed very carefully by an expert to reduce the risk of complications.  You can start your research by looking for revision rhinoplasty specialists here on Realself. 40% of my rhinoplasty practice is made up of patients seeking revision surgery from procedures performed by other surgeons. I would be happy to speak with your further via Skype if you wish.  Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty specialist

Revision rhinoplasty is always harder than a primary rhinoplasty due to anatomical disruptions of normal anatomy, and the shrink-wrap effect of skin and scar tissue. Cartilage grafting techniques can accomplish making the tip wider. Also important to figure out what the cause of the nasal obstruction is  and treat it appropriately. The nostrils can be made wider with cartilage grafting techniques such as in alar rim graft to help them from collapsing inward with inspiration. It's also best to wait at least one year before embarking on another rhinoplasty procedure to allow full healing to occur. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below