How tight should my muscle repair be? And what is usually included in revisions? (Photo)

I had aTT last year with muscle repair and herniated belly button. I feel like I can still stick fingers in between my stomach muscles. Is this normal? I also feel like above the scar my stomach sticks out especially above the belly button and between the muscles. Last, I can see the stitching around my belly button and it's still red. Would these be included in a revision? And is there usually a time frame? I am the same weight I was before surgery.

Tummy tuck - what is needed for my revision

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck reivison.
  • Your profile photos are especially helpful - thank you.
  • It appears your muscle repair has not held up -
  • That is why you can feel between the muscles.
  • You would need the entire muscle repaired again - 
  • Any idea why it didn't hold up - e.g. severe coughing after surgery, doing too much too soon, gaining weight?
  • Discuss the reasons with your surgeon in hopes of avoiding it happening again. 
  • The redness of the scar will not be improved with surgery - redness fades on its own with time.
  • Give it 6 months after your revision - then have a laser if it stays red.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Revision TT

It seems that your scar is placed higher than average for cosmetic abdominoplasty. There may be some reason for this that you did not mention? Aggressive liposuction of abdomen and flanks will significantly help to shape this area. Revision of muscle plication (tuck) if division (diastasis) still exists should be considered. One year after surgery is sufficient to consider next step. You should discuss above issues with your surgeon and proceed with revision. Good luck. 

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

How tight should my muscle repair be? And what is usually included in revisions?

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on your photos, your abdominal wall does not look flat. Without preop photos, it is hard to make specific comments. What I see, without the benefit of a physical examination, is that you still have an abdominal protrusion, especially above the belly button. Your incision also seems very high, poorly placed. You can most likely have a revision at this point. Need a full abdominoplasty and lowering of your supra-pubic incision. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation/evaluation. Good luck.

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after tummy tuck surgery. You will find that there is no "standard" when it comes to  revisionary tummy tuck surgery. Essentially, what is done during tummy tuck surgery is:  whatever maneuvers necessary to improve the patient's outcome,  after careful consideration of risk/benefit ratios.  In other words, as long as attention is paid to the "do no harm" principle,  revisionary surgery can include scar revision, additional skin excision, muscle plication, liposuction surgery...  There are no specific timelines although most plastic surgeons prefer waiting at least one year after the procedures was performed before evaluating the outcome of surgery and determining the need for additional work.

Patients undergoing revisionary surgery should discuss their concerns/goals directly with their plastic surgeon, preferably in front of a full-length mirror. Working together, patient and plastic surgeon will come up with the best plan to improve outcome. I hope this helps.