Swelling following Juvederm lip augmentation

I am getting Lip Augementation using one syringe of Juvederm this week. I'm interested in any steps that can be taken either before or after the procedure to reduce swelling. Also, what is the average timeframe of swelling and when is that likely to subside?

Lip swelling

Thanks for the questionLip injections will cause some degree of swelling no matter what.  The lips are just very sensitive to swelling.  Just think about what happens when you "bite your lip".  Your injector should give you some ice and have you ice on and off for a few hours after the procedure.  Some patients have told me that taking benadryl after the procedure helps with swelling.  Also, taking some claritin or allegra in the couple days leading up to the procedure can help suppress the inflammatory response.  But I would discuss this with your injector since everyone is different and they may not want you to take any of those medications prior to the procedure.Expect the swelling to last 3-7 days with the worst being in the first 48 hours.  Good Luck
"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Bruising and swelling after Juvederm

Thank you for your question stephjwise. Swelling and bruising are not uncommon after filler treatments. I tell all of my patients to be prepared for this so that there are no surprises. Bruising and swelling normally resolve within two weeks after a treatment. Avoiding blood thinning medications such as aspirin before and after a treatment will reduce the risk for bruising. Application of cold compresses before and after a treatment will reduce the risk for bruising and swelling. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Juvederm lip filling - how long does swelling last

Thank you for asking about your Juvederm lip augmentation.
  • If you have a lip block and the filler is placed with a cannula, you will have little bruising but even so, your lip will swell noticeably.
  • Swelling is usually worst in the first 3 days - it should become unnoticeable as early as the 4th day or as late as the 14th - since some lips swell more than others.
  • If a needle is used to place the filler, you are more likely to bruise and to have more swelling.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Swelling after lip fillers

Swelling after lip fillers can vary from person to person, based on physician technique, amount of filler used, and type of filler used.  Generally, swelling after lip injections starts 4 hours or so after injection peaking the next morning.   I would recommend avoiding anti-coagulant such as aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E or fish oil for at least 5 days prior to treatment to decrease the chance of a bruise.  Also, applying cold compresses to the area after treatment is the best way to reduce swelling after treatment.  Swelling can last several days in some patients up to about a week.  Applying a moisturizers such as aquaphor after treatment can reduce chapping of the lip as well.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling After Lip Augmentation With Filler

Thank you for your question.  Swelling and bruising is normal after filler injection, especially in the lips.  Avoidance of NSAIDS, aspirins and fish oils for at least one week prior to your planned injection will significantly decrease your bruising risk.  I recommend icing before and for up to 48 hours after the procedure in order to minimize swelling and bruising.  Arnica is beneficial for minimizing normal postprocedure swelling and bruising.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your concerns and your goals and expectations in order to achieve the best results.  Hope this helps and best wishes!

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

The most important factor is ensuring that your injector is board certified, as appropriate placement of filler is extremely important to create symmetric augmentation and reduce swelling. Cannulas can be used to reduce swelling and bruising. You can begin taking arnica prior to your appointment and using ice to treat the swelling after the treatment. Swelling is typically worse the first few days, but typically subsides within one to two weeks. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Lip swelling after filler injection

Your concerns about lip swelling after Juvederm injection are understandable, especially as this is the first time that you will be having the treatment.  There are several things that you can do to minimize swelling and bruising after Juvederm lip injections.  The first is to avoid medications and supplements that can increase the risk of bleeding and therefore of bruising and swelling.  The most common over the counter medications to avoid are aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen, Tylenol is fine.  After the treatment, using ice several minutes on and then off, maintaining head elevation, and avoiding vigorous exercise for the rest of the day can all be helpful.  The one thing that I have been doing in my practice that has dramatically decreased swelling has been the elimination of sharp needles to inject the Juvederm and replacing multiple injections with what is known as cannula technique.  With this technique only two tiny injection points are used, and a blunt needle, the cannula, is threaded gently along the lip, with the filler injected to the desired areas in a less traumatic fashion.  With this technique the lips are much less swollen, and the swelling that does occur, usually resolves in a day or two.

Isaac Starker, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Swelling post lip aug

Swelling is usually worst the first few days then gets better over a week.  It's best to avoid anything that will thin your blood before treatment.  You can also ice after the treatment and stay hydrated.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Swelling after lip augmentation

Hopefully you have chosen a well-qualified injector but swelling is also related to a patient's predisposition to swelling.  Clearly any blood thinners should be avoided before and after treatment.  This can include aspirin and medications or supplements which thin the blood.  We often use Arnica,, an herbal supplement taken orally before and after the treatment to ease swelling.   I also recommend sleeping with your head up and avoiding strenuous exercise for a few days after treatment.  Sometimes I prescribe prednisone if there is severe swelling or an allergic reaction.  In terms of time frame, swelling usually is at its worst a couple of days post treatment and within a week or so l be gone completely.  I wish you well.  Dr. Adrienne Stewart MD F AAD

Adrienne E. Stewart, MD
Denver Dermatologic Surgeon

Avoidance of swelling with lip filler injection.

In my practice I have found that the number one mistake is when patients don't avoid aspirin, advil, motrin, etc for about two weeks.  Being fastidious in only using tylenol for headaches, etc is very helpful.  I also have my patients "ice" their lips for several minutes (on and off) right before the injection.  Do expect several days of mild swelling and then enjoy your results.  I agree with others that the maximum dose of filler should be no more than 1 cc at the initial injection (sometimes even a little less).  I'd suggest that you watch the video above and will find it informative.
Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD