So I am staring a my journey for cosmetic surgery jaw argument to help my features or should I start with rhinoplasty? (Photos)

So I am starting my journey for cosmetic surgery, jaw augmentation or rhinoplasty?

From the limited photographs presented, it appears that there is an overly projecting nose, and an under projecting chin. A rhinoplasty procedure in combination with a chin  implant procedure can accomplish improvement of the facial features, especially from the side profile. A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump, decreasing the overall projection of the nose, narrowing the bridge line and narrowing the tip with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. Placement of a chin implant can help with facial  balance and proportions, especially with respect to the overly projecting nose. When there is a weak chin profile present, it makes the nose look bigger than it really is. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination. In our practice, we use Implantech silastic chin implants for over 25 years with an excellent success rate. The rhinoplasty procedure and the chin augmentation procedure can be performed together or separately, just depends on patients preference. The chin implant can be performed under local anesthesia as a standalone procedure.  Rhinoplasty is a very difficult endeavor, so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience. For more information, many before-and-after examples of rhinoplasty in combination with a chin implant, please see the video and the link below

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from a cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Jaw augmentation can be performed at the same time.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

So I am staring a my journey for cosmetic surgery jaw argument to help my features or should I start with rhinoplasty?

Hello and thank you for your question!

Based on the photos you have posted, perhaps a Rhinoplasty will give you a more aesthetic proportion of face and would allows us to work with the tip of your nose and make it more projected. It would also allow us to address issues like the size and width of your nose. I personally suggest you begin with a Rhinoplasty, because a jaw augmentation is more radical and you might not need it after you see the Rhino results, meaning you will feel more comfortable with your face.

Please visit a board certified plastic surgeon for further advice and the best, safest results.

Good luck!

Enriquillo Clime Rivera, MD

Rhinoplasty and Jaw Augmentation

The way to consider options for your nose and chin/jaw is to have some computer imaging done. Look at rhinoplasty alone and then combined with chin/jaw augmentation. Let the pictures tell you how to proceed. But if you had to choose just one operation it should be the rhinoplasty as your nose has a bigger aesthetic issue than that of your jawline.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation

Dear Jhern123, You are an excellent candidate for ethnic rhinoplasty and chin augmentation surgery.  Reducing your dorsal hump and refining the tip and narrowing the bridge will balance your overall facial aesthetics.  During consultation imaging can be performed to show you the proposed changes to your nose and chin taking into consideration your desires as well as your nasal anatomy and skin thickness. Once the desired nose is agreed upon the techniques that will be used to attain the desired result will be discussed. You will also have the opportunity to review before and after photographs to ensure the surgeon performs natural looking ethnic rhinoplasty procedures. See ethnic rhinoplasty examples in the link below and in the video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty with chin augmentation in a young male?

Refinement rhinoplasty combined with chin augmentation can be very powerful tools in changing the profile for young man such as yourself.  Avoidance of excess in both procedures is important to create a long-lasting aesthetic result.  Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon or a board-certified facial plastic surgeon with experience rhinoplasty to review options and photographs of other patients.  Best of luck on your voyage,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Rhinoplasty and Chin

Nasal cosmetic surgery and a chin implant are frequently performed together in the appropriate patient. The ideal aesthetic result should be individualized to achieve harmony with your other facial features and improve the areas that concern you. Whether a chin implant or a more extensive jaw surgery would be optimal depends on multiple factors including your desired outcome and personal anatomy. 

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. The extent and length of the procedure, cost, and the specific operative steps to achieve an ideal cosmetic result vary from patient to patient and would depend on the findings at your consultation examination.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Chin

Hi jhern123,

Thank you for your question. Based on the pictures your provided, I would suggest that you address both concerns at the same. I think that your best bet would be for a rhinoplasty and chin augmentation with either a chin implant or sliding genoiplasty. The nose and chin are frequently addressed together and so there should not be a concern about doing them together. It is also cheaper and combines your recovery times.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon