Significant swelling/discomfort increase on day 3 post-op. Normal?

I'm day 3 post-op with 235 cc silicone under the muscle. Swelling this morning seems much worse than before. Feels like I'm super engorged. I'm assuming this is probably just normal, probably reaching maximum swelling now and will subside with time. But just thought I'd ask because I was surprised it was so much worse today than past 2 days.

Swelling is unavoidable after surgery.  The amount of swelling can vary based on many factors.  If you have a very tight and developed pec muscle, if you over do it or over use one arm, or if you don't limit your activity your first two weeks, your risk of swelling greatly increases.  The most important way to minimize swelling is to restrict your activity. Swelling on one side more than the other is a clear indication of over doing it.  Over doing it increases your risk of bleeding, bruising, capsular contracture, and implant malposition. Swelling typically peaks 48-72 hours after surgery, and slowly resolves over 8-12 weeks. Overuse will increase both the amount and duration of swelling as well as discomfort. As the swelling resolves the upper part of your breast will appear prettier, softer and more natural. Hope this helps!

Swelling versus bleeding

Thank you for your question. You should contact your surgeon and update him/her on your progress. Most likely it is swelling that peaks at 2-3 days after surgery.

Congratulations on your recent surgery.

- Dr. Bryson Richards (Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon)

Significant swelling/discomfort increase on day 3 postop. Normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your breast augmentation.  Though an increase in swelling is not uncommon three days after surgery as your activity level increases it would be wise to see your surgeon to ensure no other issues have taken place, such as a hematoma.  Best wishes. 

Significant swelling/discomfort After breast augmentation…

Some fluctuation of swelling,  especially if it is on both sides, is likely normal but nothing will replace in-person evaluation by your plastic surgeon when it comes to accurate  evaluation, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast Pain

Thanks for your inquiry, but without an exam it is hard to advise.  Please call your plastic surgeon if you are concerned, I am sure he/she would want to reassure you, and good luck.  

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

A significant change in pain and swelling 3 days after breast augmentation suggests to me that you should be examined by her plastic surgeon.  It may be normal but I would expect things to be improving by day 3.