I have a sort of buffalo hump between my shoulders just below the base of my neck. Can this be removed with liposuction? (photo)

I do not have cushings, I believe I inherited this from my mother because she has a hump that's the exact same shape and in the exact same location. This is the only place on my body that this appears on. It feels firm and kind of fibrous (not sure how else to put it.) When I lost weight it slightly reduced in size then got bigger again when I gained some weight back so I get the feeling that it's some sort of fatty mass.

Liposuction fix

Liposuction can reduce the “hump” if the fatty
tissue is subcutaneous and not below the muscle. Radiographic evaluation can
determine the bony position and the level of the fat deposits.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Fat along the upper back / lower neck can be either naturally occurring or could be part of Cushing's syndrome as you mentioned, or the side effect of certain medications specifically steroids. The good thing is that this type of fat is usually amenable to liposuction. The important thing is to make sure that there is not any underlying structure that could be causing it relating to your spine. A plastic surgeon should be able to examine you to determine if any additional studies are needed and then see if you would be a good candidate for liposuction. Good luck!

I have a sort of buffalo hump between my shoulders just below the base of my neck. Can this be removed with liposuction?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  This buffalo hump can be treated with liposuction alone to reduce the bulk and the overall convex appearance to the tissues.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring -- BUFFALO HUMP

This is one of my most favorite treatments.  VASER does very well to this area and the full neck/back can be treated with pretty much instant results. Best, Dr. Emer.

Buffalo hump

Thanks for the pictures this really helps answer your question.  This hump is also known as a buffalo hump it  can be treated under local anesthesia in office.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photos. Yes this is a "Buffalo hump" and it can be easily taken care of with liposuction. Due to it's fibrous nature, I use the VASER and Power X to get the best results. This can be done safely under local tumescent anesthesia with minimal oral sedation. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation. Good luck.

You have some very good options.

Because I prefer patients to be as comfortable as possible, I would suggest that you undergo liposuction of the hump under the care of an anesthesia provider.  Likewise, that helps me get the best results.I'd suggest beginning your investigations by going to a member of the Utah Plastic Surgery Society.  As the current President, I know our members personally and am confident you will find one of our board certified plastic surgeons to be an excellent match for your needs.Best of luck!

buffalo hump

Thank you for your question. Buffalo hump can be easily corrected with liposuction. It can be done in office under local anesthesia easily. Please consult a board certified PS for evaluation.

Buffalo Humps can usually be improved with liposuction.

Liposuction can bring down the buffalo humps pretty good and is done under tumescent local usually using the power cannulas since it is very fibrous tissue.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction for the Posterior Neck

While I have not performed liposuction on the posterior or base of the neck, its certainly not out of the realm of possibilities.  If you've had a proper Endocrinology evaluation/workup, and the mass' size fluctuates with your weight, there is a reasonable chance that it could be improved with liposuction.  Be sure that a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon is doing the liposuction.  Good luck!

Ryan Marshall, DO
Missoula Plastic Surgeon