Breast lift and implants four months ago and I gained 10 pounds and stomach fat that I cannot lose! Is this normal?

Four months ago, I got a breast lift and 400cc completely under the muscle implants. Immediately after, my stomach got bigger and fatter, and after reading up, I figured it was water retention and drainage from my breast surgery, but 4 months later, it is still there! I've also gained 10-12 pounds that I cannot lose. I do hour long gym weight training classes 3-5 times per week and run 3 miles about 5 times per week. But the stomach rolls and weight won't go down. :(. I'm also super tired all the time.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast…

Breast lift and implants four months ago and I gained 10 pounds and stomach fat that I cannot lose! Is this normal

The water retention and bloating from taking pain medications resolve in a week or so. One thing I see is that patients are restricted from their usual activities while they are recovering. Since being at home can get boring, I find some patients increase they calorie intake as well. It could be something medical as other doctors have suggested. It is not related to your implants.

Breast implants

It is extremely important to have your blood work checked to look for anemia and your thyroid function.  IF these are both normal and you physical exam by your surgeon is normal then re-evauation of your diet with a nutritionist would be appropriate.

Weight gain

It sounds like you have just gained weight. If you find yourself tired, you might ask your medical doctor to check your thyroid level. Breast implants themselves do not cause weight gain except for the actual weight of the implants.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon