Breast aug round textured sientra under (subpec) 5 weeks post op. Hate the shape, wanted more of a slope. Any advice? (Photo)

I have read that textured implants do not drop, so am I stuck with this look? Too much upper pull for me, want a slope, now I'm wishing I would have gotten the smooth round instead. My nipples look very low, and these do not look natural to me. Am I going to settle to more of a curve? Would a band help? Should I massage? I've read not to massage textured, but some Dr's day it's OK. Any suggestions? I don't want to get a re-do but I don't want to be fuller on top. Any advice?

Sientra Implants and Breast Augmentation Results at 5 Weeks

• We have noticed that our patients who undergo breast augmentation with shaped, textured Sientra implants tend to stay more swollen for a longer period of time after their operation. 
  • Eventually, our patients have looked great with their Sientra implants, but you will need to be patient!
  • 5 weeks post-op breast augmentation with Sientra implants is still too early to see your final results. 
  • It will take several months before you see your final results, so try to hang in there and be patient.  Some of the fullness you have in the upper pole will go down with time. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Too much upper pole at 5 weeks after breast augmentation

I would expect your shape will change for up to 6 months. You will need to be patient and allow the healing process to happen. At 6 months I expect you will have a lot less upper pole fullness. Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

It takes time

In my experience and in that reported by other board certified plastic surgeons, the Sientra implants can take longer to "settle in" than implants that are less cohesive.  So in my patients it can take 4-5 months for the breasts to settle and achieve their final look. 

Massage is a different question and it depends on what is meant by massage.  Gentle rubbing of the breasts after surgery (by their owner!) can help them to become less tender sooner and become "part of you" sooner- psychologists have shown that when you move into a new house it doesn't seem like you live there for 21 days.  I see similar findings in my patients where, although breast implants are a happy change for most patients, it is still a change that can take some getting used to.  So gentle manipulation can be a help here as well.

It was once thought that vigorous motion of the implants after surgery might decrease the risk of capsular contracture by stretching the "pocket" that they are in, but I find this to be an outdated concept as we now think that Biofilm is the cause in many if not most cases.  Vigorous massage is not recommended for texturized implants in any case, because we are trying to get the tissues to adhere to the implant, not pull away.  
Be patient, and have a good discussion with your surgeon.  He or she is board certified if using the Sientra implants, and will help to guide and support you through this period after surgery.

Jonathan Hall, MD

Sientra Textured Round Implants 5 Weeks Ago, Advice about Shape?

In my experience, I've found that patients with textured Sientra breast implants remain swollen for a longer time than those with smooth Sientra implants. Talk to your surgeon doubt your concerns and ask about the possibility of using a bandeau to help shape and  push the swelling out of the upper breast.

Click on the link below if you would like to read about another woman's breast augmentation experience.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Textured implants will drop

It is much too soon to worry about your results.  It is very likely that your breasts will stretch further and the implants will "drop".  My impression is that it takes longer with textured implants, but you should continue to see changes over the coming months.  I would wait at least 6 months before changing anything or undergoing more surgery.

The round implant may or may not give you the results you desire, but it is just too early to tell.  Best wishes.

Hate the shape, want more of a slope

Usually when plastic surgeons give advice about not massaging textured Sientra implants, it is more often about the teardrop shaped textured gel implants to avoid accidentally rotating or disrupting the position of the implants.  Your round textured implants could be massaged and will likely drop somewhat more, but unfortunately, are currently at little too high.  Perhaps it would have been in your best interested to have chosen a teardrop shaped implant originally to avoid such excessive upper fullness, but your breast shape will improve with time.  You should discuss with your surgeon whether a band will help (it may, but should be applied sooner rather than later).  In a worst case scenario, your implants may have to be surgically dropped later on down the road, but for now I would give yourself more time to heal.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Sientra implants

The most important thing about your implants is not the texturing but the profile. Sientra's tend to be bigger/fuller implants and not as "natural" as for example, Mentor's. The "look" you wanted might not be met if the profile is too full.

Time

The textured implants do not drop as much as the smooth round ones do, so it may take a while to see if they drop at all.  To get a better sloped upper pole I would recommend a anatomical or shaped implant.  A smaller smooth round implant would also go a long way to helping you achieve the look you want.  Good luck!

Adrian Smith, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon