Do you have anatomical (teardrop) implants? Do you love or hate them? Are they worth the money?

I am considering getting anatomical implants this December but they are so uncommon and I would really love to hear some reviews. I know they have a risk of rotation, but I really prefer a natural flat upper pole look and I am very curious as to whether they are worth the extra cost

Anatomical (teardrop) implants

Great question!  Some women really like the option of the teardrop implant.  This is something that would be best discussed with your board certified plastic surgeon.  Typically this implant is used for breast reconstruction or women with little to no tissue, if this is the same they desire.  Again, schedule a consultation to discuss with the your doctor!

If you would like more information regarding breast augmentation and the different implant style you can download a free copy of my Breast Augmentation Planner at ABetterBreast.com.

Best of luck to you!

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Round or Shaped Implants

Your doctor will work with you to choose the best implant #shape and #implantprofile based on your goals and measurements.In my practice, about 15-20% of the patients are good candidates for silicone #shapedimplants.The profile is determined by the amount of projection versus roundness that the patient desires, as well as the size of the implant and size of her chest. The profiles are usually described as high, moderate plus and moderate.

Don't love or hate "anatomic" or shaped breast implants; just unnecessary…

Thank you for the question. These days there are a variety of breast implants available; the variety of breast implant available raise a lot of questions from women considering breast augmentation surgery. Personally, I think that for most patients considering breast augmentation surgery, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals, far outweigh the specific type of breast implant utilized (when it comes to the success of the breast augmentation procedure).

Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round saline or silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Thank you for your question. This is something that many women consider when preparing for implant surgery. I advise you to discuss this with your surgeon and be allowed to look at the implants themselves and make an informed decision.

You are going to get many opinions on here from different surgeons and for what it's worth, here is my opinion regarding shaped implants for augmentation surgery. The usefulness of a shaped implant completely depends on the patient's goals and the patient's anatomy. I see them being useful in patients who are looking for a more natural look with minimal roundness on the upper pole. Some patients come in wanting to achieve a very full and round upper pole, and for them, shaped implants are not a good option. Neither is right or wrong, just a matter of goals or preference. I also see the anatomical implants being more useful for patients that are very slim or fit with little body fat or in patients who have very small breasts. The ability to discern a round vs shaped implant once the implant is placed under the muscle, breast tissue, and skin, is a direct result of what is covering that implant. If the tissue covering the implant is thick, the difference between a round and shaped implant is going to be blunted. If the soft tissue covering is very thin, then the ability to see the differences in the implants is very minimal. If you are starting out with  C cup breasts, and going up to a D, then the shaped device is probably not worth the additional cost. If you are very fit and starting with a small A cup, then you may want to consider it depending on your goals.

As for technical differences. Yes, the implants can flip and reports have been made about this. Flipping can be prevented by making a precise surgical pocket for the implant and keeping fluid from around the implant. It can happen, but in my experience, flipping of the implant is very rare with good technique. The other thing to consider is that the shaped implants, because of the silicone gel characteristics, are slightly more firm than round implants. Get two comparable implants in your hands at your consultation and feel them both and you will see what I mean. This may factor into your decision as well. 

Good luck!

"Anatomical" Breast Implants

Personally I'm not a fan and would avoid the extra expense.  The key to avoiding too much upper pole fullness is in my opinion not the shape of the implant but the avoidance of inserting too large an implant for the tissue and distensability that you have.  Others will of course disagree.  I recall a national meeting with 200-300 Bd Certified surgeons being tested by choosing whether we thought before and after photos of dozens of breast enlargement patientsinvolved round vs anatomic implants.  The large group's accuracy was about 52% (nearly equal to a random guess).  
I have seen patients with great results using all styles of implants but the fact that they must be textured (ALCL risk), can rotate, feel somewhat firmer and are difficult to size properly lead me to join the majority who won't use them.
Ultimately, you should find a surgeon who earns your trust and let them use their experience and good judgment as to choice of implant for you.
Good luck and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, Am. Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Anatomical Implants

Dear ang forster,
Anatomic silicone implants are newcomers to the US. I have surgical colleagues/ friends outside of the US who were raving about them almost 20 years ago, while we were waiting for FDA approval that took forever. When they were first approved in the US I was very hesitant to try them because I was quite pleased with the smooth round implants. Once I started using them I was a quick fan! They are not right for every patient, but I have been very pleased thus far. They are a bit firmer than the smooth round implants but the positioning and look have been very reliable, and they are especially nice with patients who have mild droop or prefer a natural upper pole. In primary cases the risk of rotation is quite low, and an experienced surgeon will likely put your fears to rest during your consultation. Each company has a different form of texturing and the thickness of the gel also varies a bit. I have used Sientra most often, but all of the companies have nice products available. You will probably get negative comments from those who have not used them much. Try to find a surgeon who is unbiased and can explain the differences based on their personal experience.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

"Anatomic" Implants

The so-called anatomic implants, or tear drop, implants are available to any surgeon doing breast augmentation. They are great implants for specific patients with a specific anatomy and specific goal. For the majority of patients they are not as good as the round devices. Your surgeon should be able to tell you if they are for you after an examination and consultation to learn you goal look. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Anatomical

Rotation deformity can occur with teardrop implants. We do not use them at all. For upper pole natural results use moderate plus silicone implants 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS