Want the suture line to look seamless and not obvious, like other patients on this website. (photo)

Is it normal to have a dark purple line across your tummy eight years after an abdominalplasty? Upon a scar revision consult with a different cosmetic surgeon, I was told the former surgeon did not suture the inner flesh and only sutured the outer skin and that was the cause of my purple line and the thinness of the surgery line after he pushed and felt the skin and did a full assessment and offered a revision by stitching the insides together which was neglected, but no promises of it getting any better.

Want the suture line to look seamless and obvious, like other patients on this website

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  A scar revision may be possible to improve your suture line appearance, especially as it will not have the same tension as during your tummy tuck recovery.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and discussion of treatment options.

Tummy Tuck - Unhappy With Incision

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry you are unhappy with your result.  I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions. Biocorneum makes an excellent product. Scar revision is also an option. Please follow up with a board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!

Scar quality post abdominoplasty

Every conscientious plastic surgeon knows that scar revision results are impossible to guarantee meeting your expectations.  With that said there are scars that are more likely to be improved upon than others.  When redoing a tummy tuck scar, there will usually be less tension on the scar and if properly closed, a pleasing result can be anticipated.  I might consider the use of post op suture line support.  Your surgeon will have their preferences.  I like the Embrace system.  Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon