Sciton BBL vs IPL?

The white paper on Sciton BBL claims its safer and better in treating Skin Type IV and V than the other IPL machines. I would like the opinion of any doctor who have experience in both type of devices as to which is better?

Sciton BBL IPL

I have the Sciton BBL/IPL machine but generally do not use this laser in darker skin patients for pigmentation.  Please be specific as to which condition you are looking for treatment to assist you.  I prefer chemical peels and V-Beam for skin types IV and V.  Best, Dr. Green

Melarase creams and IPL

In our office, we use the IPL Limelight procedure as an excellent option for premature wrinkling, brown spots, and redness. We often use IPL in addition to Melarase creams. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Sciton BBL

We have the BBL and think it's a great device for treatment of sun damage, brown spots, redness, and for overall skin rejuvenation.  It's one of the best intense pulsed light (IPL) machines available.  That said, we don't use it to treat skin type IV or V patients because there is a higher risk of burning the skin in patients with darker skin.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon