Can implants be removed from periaolar incision?

I am 7 months postop and considering implant removal. Can I do this through the periaolar incision so I don't have another scar? And will the entire scar have to be cut all the way around, or can a small incision be made at bottom of areola area?

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Can implants be removed from PA?

Breast implants are usually removed through the same incision they were inserted, so as to minimize scarring.  However, some incisions can be used more easily if it's being done under local anesthesia alone; ie, the IM incision is usually easier to use than a PA, particularly if you have relatively more breast tissue.  Sometimes only a portion of the scar can be opened to remove the implants, although it may be better to redo the entire incision than just part of it.

You should of course discuss this with your surgeon, along with what your likely outcome will be following removal of the implants.  Needless to say, I'm sorry that you're not happy with your result.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Implant removal

Implants are generally removed using the original incision, so you will not have any additional scars.  They can be removed through a periareolar incision if the size of the areola is adequate.  A typical periareolar scar only encompasses the bottom half of the areola.  A visit with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon can give you more information on what you can expect from incisions based on your anatomy and implant size.  

Camille Cash, MD

Generally speaking, I remove breast implants through incisions that were previously used or through inframammary incisions.  

Sometimes, mainly based on the patient's specific anatomy, I have concerns about the potential for contour depression resulting when breast implants are removed through the infra areolar approach.   For these patients, I recommend that the breast implants be removed through the infra mammary approach.   
I hope this,  and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) helps.