Explant and adhesions?

I'm 1.5 yrs postop under muscle 400 mL HP silicone. My results are a disaster and I need to explant with no replacement. What are the risk of adhesions and does this risk increase with how long the implants are in the body? Is there anything I can do to reduce this risk?

Explantation with capsulectomy

For explant surgery, it is almost always best to remove the capsule in its entirety.  This will allow the space to heal.  If you leave the capsule in place, it does not heal.  Fluid can accumulate in the space.  The situation that brings the patient to implant removal will have an affect on the decision.  This is a surgery which requires discussion with the plastic surgeon about the problem, the goals, and the technical concerns.  The body does not re-absorb the capsule.  Revision surgery requires drains because the fluid is going to be generated when you operate on the scar capsule.  If you provide a mechanism for the fluid to be removed (i.e. drains), the risks are lower.  If the fluid accumulates because there were no drains, it will most certainly cause problems in the future.

There is little risk of adhesions from explant surgery.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD