Can buccal fat removal help remove fat on jowls?

10 years ago I had fat transfer on my cheeks but the doctor incorrectly put fat in my lower jaw area in my left cheek.It seems all the fat has accumulated in my jowls.Now I have smaller upper cheeks & chubby jowls ,hard to have a full smile as fat is too much in jowls. Its giving my face square look.I tried some fat dissolving injections but they made it worse, due to it have accumulation of some liquid in my jowls making them look much fatter.Can buccal fat removal help remove fat on the jowls.

Can buccal fat removal help remove fat on jowls? = It may help if candidate #buccalfat #buccalfatremoval #jowls

In patient candidates, buccal fat removal may IMPROVE jowls, but NOT eliminate them. However, when patients have jowls, it very often means there is mild excess of facial skin and there is lack on cheek bone prominence. 

In my practice, when a patient has chipmunk cheeks with jowls, the patient could improve the facial appearance by combining a buccal fat removal with anterior and lateral cheek augmentation with fillers (that lifts the face and therefore improves the jowls)

Patients interested in buccal fat pad removal  should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in plastic surgery procedures of the face

Buccal fat reduction to improve the jowls?

Thank you for asking about your buccal fat reduction.

• Buccal fat reduction will not be the best approach to fat injections that increased the size of the jowls.
  • An examination is needed to see what if anything can be done.
  • After fat removing injections, there will be considerable internal scarring and treatment of any kind may be risky and ill-advised.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Contouring of the facial fat deposits

Based on your description it appears that removal and sculpting  of jowls may help. This is done with a small cannula in local anesthesia and very conservatively! You will need a true expert to give you  satisfactory result. Jowls shaping with liposuction cannula is much more predictable than fat dissolving injections. You should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with good reputation in facial rejuvenation surgery. Good luck. 

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon