Would a SMAS facelift help the skin? (Photo)

Hi doctors. I had a cheekbone and jawline reduction 9 months ago to reduce the wide appearance. However, although my face seems smaller, the soft tissue has lost its laxity and has move down and forward-no longer sculpted and tight as before. I would like to get the defintion and contour back along my jawline. Would an smas facelift help adult the skin back up? Thanks you

Would a SMAS facelift help the skin?

Hi, I have performed many facelifts over the past 30 years many on women in their late twenties and earlt thirties that alreday had jowl formation.  From the attached photos, I don't see evidence of jowls.  

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.

If on examination you do have jowls, these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured. The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

Hope this helps.

SMAS facelift

You do not have jowls or neck bands or any of the typical signs of aging that would require a SMAS flap.  Based on your photo it sounds like an agressive step.  An in person consultation would help see if this would help you. 

Options for treating skin laxity

A SMAS facelift will address the superficial top layers of skin and the deeper tissues of the face and neck that begin to sag and lose laxity as a person ages. Based on your photo, it does not appear that the quality of your skin calls for any kind of facelift procedure, however, an in person consultation with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon would be the best way for you to address your specific concerns. By speaking with an expert, you may be able to find other options that will help you feel satisfied with the appearance of your skin without the need for surgery. I hope this helps.

SMAS Facelift

Hello staying positive11-
You have a lot to be positive about and considering a facelift is not one of them. Your photo essentially only shows the perioral area and this is not generally helped with any kind of facelift. The area that you have shown in your photo appears very youthful.
Dr. A. 

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Would a SMAS facelift help the skin?

It is very limited the evaluation that can be given with the partial frontal view picture and no lateral pictures. Of what I can see I do not think that you still need a facelift because there is no evidence of jowls or other problems. Consider an in person consultation with a facial plastic surgeon in order to evaluate your concerns and have a facial exam. Surgical and non-surgical options can be given.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, used against any physician or as medical witness expert advice or court, but only opinion. This answer is for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon