What is recovery time for a Mommy Makeover?

When are most of your patients able to walk around? Take a shower? Go back to work?

A Mommy Makeover is a great procedure because it combines breast recontouring, tummy tuck, and liposuction all in one procedure.  Please realize that when we do multiple procedures at one time the recovery will be increasingly more intense.  Taking the time to allow yourself to recuperate will give you the best chance for a full uneventful recovery with a fabulous result.      You will be up and walking within a couple of hours after surgery.  We encourage frequently getting up to walk, especially for the first few days, to reduce the risk of blood clots.  However, you do not want to walk for exercise or elevate your heart rate for a couple of weeks.  As for a shower, the limiting factors are the drain tubes from the tummy tuck.  These are needed to prevent build up of blood and fluid under the incisions that would cause wound healing issues.  They typically stay in for 7-10 days and we do not allow patients to take a shower until the day after the tubes are removed.  During that time it is important to do sponge baths to keep clean in order to avoid water getting up along the tubes and causing infection.  A bath must wait longer because immerging the incisions before they are completely healed can also lead to infection.  Timing for back to work varies greatly depending on the job and surgery conducted.  We generally recommend a full two weeks off from work for a mommy makeover event for a desk job.  If the job requires heaving lifting, then 6-8 weeks recovery may be required before a return to full duty. Make sure to discuss each of these issues with your plastic surgeon so you can plan appropriately and avoid surprises! 

What is recovery time for a Mommy Make Over?

Typically a Mommy Makeover is a combination of some type of breast recontouring, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and and liposuction of the hips and thighs. Of these 3 components tummy tuck requires the longest recovery. You should plan on staying home for 2 weeks after a tummy tuck. After that you can begin to reengage many day to day activities. Athletic activities which create stress on the abdominal wall should be carefully reintroduced at 8 weeks progressing to 12 weeks. More aggressive exercises such as sit ups and abdominal crunches should wait for up to 12 weeks. Upper body restrictions will depend on the type of breast surgery performed. If a breast lift, without an augmentation, or a breast reduction is performed it is best not to raise your arms high above your head until healing is achieved. This normally takes up to 3 weeks. Unrestricted upper body activity can normally be resumed at 4 weeks. If an implant is used either for breast augmentation or in conjunction with a breast lift normal day-to-day upper body activities can normally be resumed in 2-4 days. It is best not to lift more than 10-15 pounds for 4 weeks after an implant is placed. Reintroduction of activity following liposuction is dependent on patient tolerance. There are usually no specific restrictions associated with liposuction.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Every patient is different when it comes to recovery after mommy makeover surgery but the thing I suggest to all patients is not starting doing too much too soon. 

I do have another piece of advice for you. Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects. It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation  (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively. Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher times. Best wishes.

I would go on consultations to help get your questions addressed. I would search for the board certified plastic surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results and who performs hundreds of these procedures each year. I would look at patient reviews as well as before and after photos on that surgeon's website.

Hi lady, thanks for your question. The recovery time of a Tummy Tuck will depend of many factors and is individual between patients , but usually is two weeks of recovery, Good luck. Am at your command.

Dr. Marte.

Manuel Marte, MD

Recovering from a mommy makeover.

In my practice patients are walking the night of the operation. The dressings a removed and showering is permitted on the second day after the operation. Patients generally can go back to work in about two weeks depending on the combination of operations in the activities required for the job.

Mommy makeover recovery time

This will depend on the actual procedures that you undergo since a mommy makeover is customized for you based on your problem areas. Typically, it includes breast and abdominal surgery so most of my patients will stay overnight in our surgery center for post-op monitoring. The following morning, they are discharged home and can shower. I have my patients wear a compression garment to help with the swelling and they will have drains that are typically removed by 2 weeks. Depending on the type of work, most patients are able to go back within 2 weeks but I do ask patients to refrain from strenuous exercise or lifting anything heavy for 6 weeks. Hope this helps!

Recovery time after mommy makeover

Assuming that your mommy makeover includes a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) with muscle repair, and breast augmentation with or without a lift, then plan on a week of down time where you do not have to be overly active. Sometime during the second week you will likely be able to drive and begin light activities but no heavy lifting or strenuous tasks for several weeks. 

Richard Baxter, MD

Mommy Makeover Recovery

I like to have my patients walking around the day after surgery.  Sponge bathing is allowed after the dressings are changed (48 hours after surgery), but it's important to keep water away from the drain sites until they are removed - which is usually 10 to 14 days after surgery.  Once the drains are removed, you can shower. Returning to work depends on what you do.  If you have a desk job, you may be able to go back after a week, but for most patients, it's about two weeks.

Mommy makeover recovery

The vast majority of the recovery for a mommy makeover occurs in about 2 weeks. All of my patients are up walking on the first post operative night and can shower by the second day. Most of my patients return to work in 2 weeks, light exercise in 4 weeks and full exercise in 8 weeks.