Does my Labiaplasty need to be kept moist with an antibiotic ointment/vaseline or dry and just cleaned well?

Had a Labiaplasty 3 days ago and so far so good but I am undecided on after care. I feel like washing it with a cleanser is enough and it will heal faster if it is clean and dry. I am on oral antibiotics. I think ointment makes it too "gunkie" and I don't need the infection protection. I read that washing is enough (and people having stronger results when switching from keeping it moist to the dry mothod) but in general should healing wounds with stitches be dry or kept moist?

Basic Labiaplasty Post-Op Healing

Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals.
Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful for swelling treatment as well. If you have questions or concerns about any of this it would be good to see your surgeon in person for a follow-up appointment  to have the area evaluated for proper healing. Best of luck to you!

Labiaplasty post-op care

Hello,Generally wounds that are kept a bit moist tend to heal better. That being said, it's best to follow your surgeon's advice as to their preferred method of care. Applying too much ointment in some may contribute to  excess moisture and yeast infections. If the area is too dry, the wound edges may adhere to your pad and cause  bleeding and discomfort. I generally recommend that my patients  carefully apply a small amount of ointment daily until the area is healed. This also helps prevent itching as a result of dryness.

Regards,Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                   Village Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

LabiaplastyVaginal Rejuvenation

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Keep the area clean and dry

The vaginal area has an excellent blood supply and heals well dry. A moisture barrier is good idea sometimes. However, along delicate scars, the process of applying the cream can cause mechanical damage to the scar that offsets any theoretical advantages of moisturizers.

Labiaplasty hygiene in the first week...

No, you don't "need" either oral antibiotics, antibiotic or other types of salves or ointments. Many women will use Aquaphor or Cu-3 ointment for a week after, but if you feel it's "gunky" then just stop the ointment. GENTLY cleanse (spray bottle; perhaps you can GENTLY use a "cosmetics sponge" over the surgical area) once/twice a day. You do not need to use a cleanser. THE LEAST HANDLING THE BETTER. See the video & weblink...
Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Care

Thank you for your question.  Every surgeon has their own opinion on postoperative care after labiaplasty.  Some do not apply ointment, some apply non-antibiotic ointment and some apply antibiotic ointment.  I would recommend contacting your surgeon to determine his/her preference.  Best of luck.     Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Incision care: Antibiotic ointment/Vaseline or dry and cleaned well?

Thank you for your excellent question.  Though you will find many different opinions, both pro and con, for each type of after surgery care I recommend patients use a non-antibiotic ointment along their incisions in the first weeks after surgery.  Maintaining a clean, non-infected incision moisturized allows for quicker healing than allowing it to dry or scab.  Hope this helps.