Is Mommy Makeover painful?

How painful is a Mommy Makeover? How do most patients describe their pain and pain level in the days and weeks after surgery? When does the pain typically go away? Do you have tips to prepare and reduce pain after surgery?

Is the Mommy Makeover Painful?

Thank you for your question.  Our office takes post operative pain management seriously.  Our current protocol includes a pain pump, (with numbing medicine), that will instill the numbing medicine in the area for the first three days after abdominoplasty.  Patients typically move off the pain medicine to Tylenol after a few days.  We try to avoid ibuprofen and aspirin products for a couple weeks post op.  Each patient has their own pain tolerance. The procedure is usually well tolerated by our patients.  Best to talk to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as each surgeon will approach the operation and the postoperative management differently.

Is Mommy Makeover painful?

I would ask your surgeon as this will depend upon your anatomy, the surgeries planned, and the protocols established by your surgeon.

Is Mommy Makeover painful?

Every person's pain tolerance is different . What works for one person will not work for another. There is an acceptable level of discomfort following any surgical procedure. Sometimes, if pain is excessive or prolonged - it may require the doctor's attention. Pain can be a measure of the post-operative condition and we use it as such.

Pain after a mommy makeover is variable.

The most painful part of a mommy makeover is usually the abdominoplasty. Most patients will take strong pain medications for about 2 to 3 days. When you think about it however these operations a very popular and would not be so if the postoperative pain was especially bad.

Pain from a mommy makeover can be managed.

i have found that pain levels vary from patient to patient, however almost all patients respond to a multi pronged approach to managing pain following a mommy makeover that involves procedures to the breast, abdomen and body. I prescribe a combination of an anti inflammatory medication, a muscle relaxant, a mild anti anxiety medication and a small amount of narcotic on a schedule for the first 24-72 hours. Most patients have an experience in which they feel that their pain was managed and the experience was very tolerable. I find that patients who actively prepare their bodies for surgery with a healthy nutritional and exercise program respond very well to this pain management approach. It is a rare patient who describes the pain as intense,and typically these patient chose not to follow the pain management regimen I prescribed. 

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS